|February 6 in recent years
February 6 is the 37th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 328 days remaining until the end of the year (329 in leap years).
- 46 BC - Julius Caesar defeats the combined army of Pompeian followers and Numidians under Metellus Scipio and Juba at Thapsus.
- 337 - Julius I is elected pope.
- 1685 - James II of England and VII of Scotland becomes King upon the death of his brother Charles II.
- 1778 - American Revolutionary War: In Paris the Treaty of Alliance and the Treaty of Amity and Commerce are signed by the United States and France signaling official recognition of the new republic.
- 1788 - Massachusetts becomes the sixth state to ratify the United States Constitution.
- 1815 - New Jersey grants the first American railroad charter to a John Stevens.
- 1817 - The Argentinian San Martín crosses the Andes with an army in order to liberate Chile from Spanish rule.
- 1819 - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles founds Singapore.
- 1820 - The first 86 African American immigrants sponsored by the American Colonization Society started a settlement in present-day Liberia.
- 1840 - Signing of the Treaty of Waitangi, founding document of New Zealand.
- 1843 - The first minstrel show in the United States The Virginia Minstrels opens (Bowery Amphitheatre in New York City).
- 1862 - American Civil War: Ulysses S. Grant gives the United States its first victory of the war, by capturing Fort Henry, known as the Battle of Fort Henry.
- 1899 - Spanish-American War: The Treaty of Paris, a peace treaty between the United States and Spain is ratified by the United States Senate.
- 1900 - The international arbitration court at The Hague is created when the Netherlands' Senate ratifies an 1899 peace conference decree.
- 1922 - Achille Ratti becomes Pope Pius XI.
- 1922 - The Washington Naval Treaty was signed in Washington, limiting the naval armaments of United States, Britain, Japan, France, and Italy.
- 1933 - The 20th Amendment to the United States Constitution goes into effect.
- 1934 - February 6, 1934 political crisis in France. The far right leagues rally in front of the Palais Bourbon, an attempted coup against the Third Republic.
- 1936 - Olympic Games: Winter Olympic Games - IV Olympic Winter Games open in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany.
- 1951 - The Broker, a Pennsylvania Railroad passenger train derails near Woodbridge Township. The accident kills 85 people and injures over 500 more. The wreck is one of the worst rail disasters in American history.
- 1952 - Elizabeth II becomes Queen upon the death of her father George VI. At the exact moment of succession, she was in a treehouse at the Treetops Hotel in Kenya.
- 1952 - Elizabeth II is proclaimed Queen of Canada at Rideau Hall, Ottawa, Ontario.
- 1958 - Eight players of Manchester United were killed in the Munich air disaster.
- 1959 - Jack Kilby of Texas Instruments filed the first patent for an integrated circuit.
- 1959 - At Cape Canaveral, Florida, the first successful test firing of a Titan intercontinental ballistic missile is accomplished.
- 1971 - Apollo program: Apollo 14 Mission - Alan Shepard becomes the first person to hit a golf ball on the Moon.
- 1978 - The Blizzard of 1978, one of the worst Nor'easters in New England history, hit the region, with sustained winds of 65 mph and snowfall of 4" an hour.
- 1992 - The Saami people of the Nordic countries have an official day celebrating their existence.
- 1996 - A Birgen Air Boeing 757 crashes into the Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Dominican killing 189.
- 1998 - Washington National Airport is renamed Ronald Reagan National Airport.
- 1998 - In Corsica, the prefect Claude Erignac is assassinated in Ajaccio, presumably by Yvan Colonna.
- 2004 - In Russia, a suicide-attack in a Moscow metro kills 40 commuters, and injures a hundred and twenty-nine. The blast is blamed on Chechen separatist groups.
- 2006 - The Conservative Party of Canada becomes a minority government in Canada's Parliament, replacing the Liberals after 13 years in power. Stephen Harper becomes the 22nd Prime Minister of Canada.
- 2007 - One of the two Denial-of-service attacks in history is mounted against the DNS Backbone servers.
- 1577 - Beatrice Cenci, Italian noblewoman (d. 1599)
- 1608 - Antonio Vieira, Portuguese writer (d. 1697)
- 1611 - Chongzhen Emperor, Emperor of China (d. 1644)
- 1639 - Daniel Georg Morhof, German writer and scholar (d. 1691)
- 1664 - Mustafa II, Ottoman Sultan (d, 1703)
- 1665 - Queen Anne of England (d. 1714)
- 1695 - Nicolaus II Bernoulli, Swiss mathematician (d. 1726)
- 1732 - Charles Lee, General in the American Revolution (d. 1782)
- 1744 - Pierre-Joseph Desault, French anatomist and surgeon (d. 1795)
- 1748 - Adam Weishaupt, founder of the Bavarian Illuminati (d. 1811)
- 1756 - Aaron Burr, 3rd Vice President of the United States (d. 1836)
- 1757 - Julian Ursyn Niemcewicz, Polish scholar and statesman. (d. 1841)
- 1811 - Henry George Liddell, father of the Alice in Alice in Wonderland (d. 1898)
- 1833 - James Ewell Brown Stuart, American Confederate general (d. 1864)
- 1833 - José María de Pereda, Spanish novelist (b. 1906)
- 1834 - Ema Puksec, Croatian singer (d. 1889)
- 1838 - Sir Henry Irving, British actor (d. 1905)
- 1838 - Yisrael Meir Kagan, Chofetz Chayim (d. 1933)
- 1853 - Ignacij Klemenčič, Slovenian physicist (d. 1901)
- 1887 - Josef Frings, German Archbishop of Cologne (d. 1978)
- 1875 - Leonid Gobyato, Russian general (d. 1915)
- 1892 - William Parry Murphy, American physician, Nobel laureate (d. 1987)
- 1894 - Eric Partridge, New Zealand lexicographer (d. 1979)
- 1895 - Babe Ruth, American baseball player (d. 1948)
- 1897 - Louis Buchalter, Jewish American mobster (d. 1944)
- 1899 - Ramón Novarro, Mexican actor (d. 1968)
- 1901 - Ben Lyon, American actor (d. 1979)
- 1902 - George Brunies, American musician (d. 1974)
- 1903 - Claudio Arrau, Chilean-born pianist (d. 1991)
- 1905 - Władysław Gomułka, Polish leader (d. 1982)
- 1908 - Amintore Fanfani, Italian politician (d. 1999)
- 1910 - Irmgard Keun, German author (d. 1982)
- 1910 - Carlos Marcello, Tunisian-born gangster (d. 1993)
- 1911 - Ronald Reagan, 40th President of the United States (d. 2004)
- 1912 - Eva Braun, German mistress of Adolf Hitler (d. 1945)
- 1913 - Mary Leakey, British anthropologist (d. 1996)
- 1914 - Thurl Ravenscroft, American voice actor (d. 2005)
- 1916 - John Crank, British mathematician (d. 2006)
- 1917 - Zsa Zsa Gabor, Hungarian-born actress
- 1918 - Lothar-Günther Buchheim, German author (d. 2007)
- 1922 - Bill Johnston, Australian cricketer
- 1922 - Patrick Macnee, British actor
- 1922 - Denis Norden, British television personality
- 1924 - Billy Wright, English former footballer (d. 1994)
- 1925 - Pramoedya Ananta Toer, Indonesian author (d. 2006)
- 1926 - Haskell Wexler, American cinematographer
- 1926 - Walker Edmiston, American actor (d. 2007)
- 1929 - Pierre Brice, French actor
- 1931 - Rip Torn, American actor
- 1931 - Mamie Van Doren, American actress
- 1932 - Camilo Cienfuegos, Cuban revolutionary (d. 1959)
- 1932 - François Truffaut, French film director (d. 1984)
- 1933 - Leslie Crowther, British comedian (d. 1996)
- 1934 - Bernard Erhard, American voice actor (d. 2000)
- 1936 - Kent Douglas, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1936 - J. Howard Marshall III, American businessman
- 1939 - Mike Farrell, American actor
- 1939 - Orlando Parga, Vice President of the Puerto Rico Senate
- 1940 - Tom Brokaw, American news anchorman
- 1940 - Jimmy Tarbuck, British comedian
- 1941 - Gigi Perreau, American actress
- 1942 - Sarah Brady, American gun-control activist
- 1943 - Fabian, American singer
- 1943 - Gayle Hunnicutt, American actress
- 1944 - Michael Tucker, American actor
- 1944 - Christine Boutin, French politician
- 1944 - Willie Tee, American singer and songwriter (d. 2007))
- 1945 - Bob Marley, Jamaican musician (d. 1981)
- 1946 - Jim Turner, American politician
- 1946 - Kate McGarrigle, Canadian singer and songwriter
- 1949 - Jim Sheridan, Irish film director
- 1950 - Natalie Cole, American singer
- 1951 - Marco Antônio, Brazilian footballer
- 1951 - Jacques Villeret, French film actor (d. 2005)
- 1952 - Ricardo Lavolpe, Argentine football coach
- 1955 - Michael Pollan, American journalist
- 1957 - Kathy Najimy, American actress and comedienne
- 1957 - Robert Townsend, American actor
- 1958 - Barry Miller, American actor
- 1958 - Cecily Adams, American actress (d. 2004)
- 1959 - Ken Nelson, English record producer
- 1960 - Megan Gallagher, American actress
- 1961 - Bill Lester, American racecar driver
- 1962 - Axl Rose, American singer (Guns N' Roses)
- 1963 - Kevin Trudeau, American entrepreneur
- 1966 - Rick Astley, British singer
- 1967 - Izumi Sakai, Japanese singer (Zard) (d. 2007)
- 1967 - Anita Cochran, American singer
- 1968 - Akira Yamaoka, Japanese composer
- 1968 - Adolfo Valencia, Colombian footballer
- 1970 - Per Frandsen, Danish footballer
- 1970 - Kitty Yung, American pornographic actress
- 1971 - Dana Eskelson, American actress
- 1971 - Brad Hogg, Australian cricket player
- 1971 - Brian Stepanek, American actor
- 1972 - David Binn, American football player
- 1975 - Svend-Allan Sørensen, Danish artist
- 1975 - Tomoko Kawase, Japanese singer
- 1975 - Brett Hawke, Australian swimmer
- 1976 - Kim Zmeskal, American gymnast
- 1976 - Colin Teo, Singaporean Grand Prix driver
- 1976 - Tanja Frieden, Swiss snowboarder
- 1977 - Jason Euell, English-born footballer
- 1979 - Dan Bălan, Moldovan singer and musician O-Zone
- 1980 - Mamiko Noto, Japanese seiyu
- 1980 - Kim Poirier, Canadian actress
- 1980 - Luke Ravenstahl, American politician
- 1981 - Jens Lekman, Swedish musician
- 1981 - Calum Best, American model
- 1982 - Alice Eve, English actress
- 1983 - Brodie Croyle, American football player
- 1983 - Myron Wolf Child, Canadian politician
- 1983 - Jamie Whincup, Australian racing driver
- 1984 - Darren Bent, English footballer
- 1984 - Daisy Marie, American pornographic actress
- 1984 - Piret Järvis, Estonian singer
- 1985 - Kris Humphries, American basketball player
- 1985 - Yang Yu, Chinese swimmer
- 1986 - Brendan Taylor, Zimbabwean cricketer
- 1986 - Alice Greczyn, American actress
- 1988 - Allison Holker, American dancer
- 1989 - Craig Cathcart, Irish football
- 2004 - Princess Louise of Belgium
- 891 - Photius, Patriarch of Constantinople
- 1378 - Jeanne de Bourbon, wife of Charles V of France (b. 1338)
- 1497 - Johannes Ockeghem, Flemish composer (b. c. 1410)
- 1515 - Aldus Manutius, Italian printer
- 1585 - Edmund Plowden, English legal scholar (b. 1518)
- 1593 - Jacques Amyot, French writer (b. 1513)
- 1593 - Emperor Ogimachi of Japan (b. 1517)
- 1617 - Prospero Alpini, Italian scientist (b. 1553)
- 1685 - King Charles II of England (b. 1630)
- 1740 - Pope Clement XII (b. 1652)
- 1775 - William Dowdeswell, English politician (b. 1721)
- 1783 - Capability Brown, English landscape gardener (b. 1716)
- 1793 - Carlo Goldoni, Italian playwright (b. 1707)
- 1807 - John Reid, British army general and composer (b. 1721)
- 1816 - Maria Ludwika Rzewuska, Polish szlachcianka (b. 1744)
- 1833 - Pierre André Latreille, French entomologist (b. 1762)
- 1834 - Richard Lemon Lander, British explorer (b. 1804)
- 1855 - Josef Munzinger, Swiss Federal Councilor (b. 1791)
- 1899 - Leo von Caprivi, Chancellor of Germany (b. 1831)
- 1899 - Prince Alfred of Edinburgh and Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (b. 1874)
- 1916 - Rubén Darío, Nicaraguan writer (b. 1867)
- 1918 - Gustav Klimt, Austrian painter (b. 1862)
- 1927 - Sam Maguire, Irish Republican and Gaelic footballer (b. 1879)
- 1938 - Marianne von Werefkin, Russian-Swiss painter (b. 1860)
- 1950 - Georges Imbert, Alsatian chemist (b. 1884)
- 1952 - George VI of the United Kingdom (b. 1895)
- 1958 - David Pegg, English footballer (b. 1935)
- 1958 - Tommy Taylor, English footballer (b. 1932)
- 1958 - Geoff Bent, English footballer (b. 1932)
- 1958 - Roger Byrne, English footballer (b. 1929)
- 1958 - Eddie Colman, English footballer (b. 1936)
- 1958 - Mark Jones, English footballer (b. 1933)
- 1958 - Frank Swift, English footballer and journalist (b. 1913)
- 1958 - Walter Crickmer, Manchester United club secretary
- 1963 - Abd el-Krim, Moroccan politician
- 1964 - Emilio Aguinaldo, First President of the 1st Philippines Republic (b. 1869)
- 1967 - Martine Carol, French film actress (b. 1920)
- 1976 - Vince Guaraldi, American musician (b. 1928)
- 1981 - Hugo Montenegro, American film music composer and orchestra leader (b. 1925)
- 1981 - Frederika of Hanover, Queen Consort of Greece (b. 1917)
- 1985 - James Hadley Chase, English writer (b. 1906)
- 1986 - Frederick Coutts, Salvation Army general (b. 1899)
- 1986 - Minoru Yamasaki, American architect (b. 1912)
- 1989 - Chris Gueffroy, last person killed escaping over the Berlin wall (b. 1968)
- 1989 - Barbara Tuchman, American historian (b. 1912)
- 1989 - André Cayatte, French filmmaker (b. 1909)
- 1991 - Salvador Luria, Italian-born biologist, Nobel laureate (b. 1912)
- 1991 - Danny Thomas, American singer, comedian, and actor (b. 1914)
- 1993 - Arthur Ashe, American tennis player (b. 1943)
- 1994 - Joseph Cotten, American actor (b. 1905)
- 1994 - Jack Kirby, American comic book writer (b. 1917)
- 1995 - James Merrill, American poet (b. 1926)
- 1996 - Guy Madison, American actor (b. 1922)
- 1997 - Roger Laurent, Belgian racing driver (b. 1913)
- 1998 - Falco, Austrian singer (b. 1957)
- 1998 - Carl Wilson, American musician (The Beach Boys) (b. 1946)
- 1998 - Haroun Tazieff, French vulcanologist and geologist (b. 1914)
- 2001 - Filemon Lagman, Filipino Communist revolutionary (b. 1953)
- 2001 - Fulgence Charpentier, Quebec journalist, editor and publisher (b. 1897)
- 2002 - Max Perutz, Austrian-born molecular biologist, Nobel laureate (b. 1914)
- 2005 - Lazar Berman, Russian pianist (b. 1930)
- 2005 - Karl Haas, American radio presenter (b. 1913)
- 2007 - Lew Burdette, American baseball player (b. 1926)
- 2007 - Len Hopkins, Canadian politician (b. 1930)
- 2007 - Frankie Laine, American singer (b. 1913)
- 2007 - Willye White, American athlete (b. 1939)
Holidays and observances
116 Familypedia people were born on February 6
122 Familypedia people died on February 6
79 Familypedia people were first married on February 6