Fear Brewster was the third daughter of Mayflower pilgrim William Brewster and his wife Mary, born in Scrooby, Nottinghamshire, England. She was named Fear because at the time of her birth, the Puritans were holding secret meetings and were under constant threat of arrest. Her early years, and indeed her whole life, were full of unrest. In 1608 she moved, along with the other pilgrims, to Amsterdam (and later Leiden).
Scrooby Separatists Edit
Scrooby Separatists were a mixed congregation of early English Protestants / non-conformists founding living in the border region of of South Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire. They were called "Separatists" because of their rebellion against the religious authority of the Church of England, the official state religion. In 1607/8 the Congregation emigrated to Netherlands in search of the freedom to worship as they chose. Shortly after that they were the basis of the group to sail in the Mayflower to the New World.
They were set on a path of separation from the Anglican Church. From about 1602, Scrooby Manor, Brewster's home, became a meeting place for the dissenting Puritans. In 1606, they formed the Separatist Church of Scrooby.
Fear was only 14 when her parents and two younger brothers left for America on the Mayflower and settled into Plymouth Colony. She was left in the care of her older siblings, Jonathan (born in 1593) and Patience (born in 1600). Jonathan joined the pilgrims in 1621 on board the Fortune. Fear arrived in America with Patience on board the Anne in July 1623.
Fear married Isaac Allerton (1586-1658), another Mayflower pilgrim, around 1626. He was 20 years her senior. They had a son, Isaac Allerton Jr., born about 1627. There is speculation that they had a daughter, Sarah Allerton, who was baptised on August 13, 1633 and probably died in infancy.
Fear died young, but the exact date is unknown. She died sometime before her sister Patience's death which was December 12, 1634.
|Offspring of Isaac Allerton, Sr. and Fear Brewster (1606-1634)|
|Sarah Allerton (c1626-bef1651)||1626 Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, United States (Kingdom of England (?))||1651 Plymouth County, Massachusetts, United States (Kingdom of England (?))|| |
|Isaac Allerton (1628-1701)||22 May 1627 Plymouth Colony, Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, United States (Kingdom of England)||25 October 1702 Copley, Westmoreland County, Virginia, United States (Kingdom of England)|| Elizabeth Thurgood (c1630-)|
Elizabeth Willoughby (1635-1672)
- The Brewster genealogy, 1566-1907 - a record of the descendants of William Brewster of the "Mayflower," ruling elder of the Pilgrim church which founded Hampshire colony in 1620;2 Volumes Paperback – September 7, 2010 by Emma C. Brewster Jones (Author). This is a reproduction of a book published before 1923.
- Brewster in Plymouth County, Massachusetts - first families
- Wiki Biography of Fear Brewster
- The Elder William Brewster Society, A Pilgrim Lineage Society
- William Brewster (1567-1644)/List of Famous Descendants
- Isaac Allerton (1586-1658)/List of Famous Descendants
- Immigrant Ships To America/First Families/Anne Anne: Immigrant Ships to America 1623
- 1623 Plymouth Land Census