Experience Mitchell was born 14 May 1609 in Reusel-de Mierden, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands to Thomas Mitchell (1566-1628) and Margaret Alice Williams (1569-1615) and died 4 September 1689 Bridgewater, Plymouth County, Massachusetts of unspecified causes. He married Jane Cooke (1604-1666) 22 May 1627 in Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusetts. He married Mary Unknown (1620-1690) 1641 in Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusetts.
Marriage and Family
His first wife probably died by 1640. It looks like he remarried in 1641.
- 56 on the 1623 Plymouth Land Census. It is believed he migrated from Leiden to Plymouth Colony on either the Anne or Little James in 1623.
Experience came to Plymouth as a single man. He was on the 1633 list of Plymouth freemen. He served on a number of juries and in 1658 was Duxbury’s surveyor of highways. He moved to Duxbury by 1639 and to Bridgewater between 1684 and 1689
Experience Mitchell is believed to be the son of Thomas Mitchell who lived first in Amsterdam as a member of Francis Johnson’s congregation, and then moved to Leiden.
Thomas married Maria Tromdin and after her death,Margaret (Williams) Stocking, widow of Christopher Stochin/Stocking after April 15, 1606, in Amsterdam. Experience had a nephew, Thomas, who lived in Amsterdam, with whom he corresponded in later life.
|Offspring of Experience Mitchell and Jane Cooke (1604-1666)|
|Elizabeth Mitchell (1628-1684)|
|Thomas Mitchell (1630-1709)|
|Hannah Mitchell (1631-1644)|
|Mary Mitchell (1632-1699)|
|Offspring of Experience Mitchell and Mary Unknown (1620-1690)|
|Sarah Mitchell (1641-1738)|
|Jacob Mitchell (1643-1675)|
|Edward Mitchell (1645-1717)|
|Thomas Mitchell (1647-1688)|
|John Mitchell (1650-1719)|
|Hannah Mitchell (1656-1702)|
- Mayflower Families Through Five Generations (Vol. 12: Francis Cooke) by Ralph Van Wood-After twenty years of research Van Wood, already well known for his decades of Pilgrim research, brings you the definitive answers on Francis Cooke and his descendants. (Publ 1999).
- Experience Mitchell - disambiguation
- Mitchell in Plymouth County, Massachusetts - first families genealogy
- Experience Mitchell - Plimoth Plantation