|December 30 in recent years
December 30 is the 364th day of the year (365th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There is 1 day remaining until the end of the year.
- 1460 - Wars of the Roses: Battle of Wakefield
- 1816 - The Treaty of St. Louis is proclaimed.
- 1853 - Gadsden Purchase: The United States buys land from Mexico to facilitate railroad building in the Southwest.
- 1853 - A dinner party is held inside a life-size model of an Iguanodon created by Benjamin Waterhouse Hawkins and Sir Richard Owen in south London.
- 1862 - USS Monitor sinks off Cape Hatteras, North Carolina.
- 1879 - The Pirates of Penzance is first performed (Paignton, Devon, England).
- 1880 - The Transvaal becomes a republic and Paul Kruger, its first president.
- 1896 - José Rizal was executed by firing squad in Manila.
- 1897 - Natal annexes Zululand.
- 1903 - A fire at the Iroquois Theater in Chicago, Illinois kills 600.
- 1905 - Former Governor Frank Steunenberg is assassinated near his home in Caldwell, Idaho.
- 1906 - The All India Muslim League is founded in Dacca, East Bengal, British India Empire, which later laid down the foundations of Pakistan.
- 1919 - Lincoln's Inn in London admits its first female bar student.
- 1922 - The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics is formed.
- 1924 - Edwin Hubble announces the existence of other galaxies.
- 1927 - The Ginza Line, the first subway line in Asia, opens in Tokyo.
- 1936 - The United Auto Workers union stages its first sit-down strike.
- 1940 - California opens its first freeway, the Arroyo Seco Parkway.
- 1943 - Subhash Chandra Bose raises the flag of Indian independence at Port Blair.
- 1944 - King George II of Greece declares a regency, leaving his throne vacant.
- 1947 - King Michael of Romania forced to abdicate by the Soviet-backed Communist government of Romania.
- 1953 - Television Technology: The first ever NTSC color television sets go on sale for about USD at $1,175 each from RCA.
- 1965 - Ferdinand Marcos becomes President of the Philippines.
- 1972 - Vietnam War: The US halts heavy bombing of North Vietnam.
- 1977 - Ted Bundy escapes from his cell in Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
- 1981 - Wayne Gretzky scores his 50th goal in 39 games, still a National Hockey League record.
- 1993 - Israel and the Vatican establish diplomatic relations.
- 1995 - The lowest ever UK temperature of -27.2°C was recorded at Altnaharra in the Scottish Highlands. This equalled the record set at Braemar, Aberdeenshire on February 11, 1895 and January 10, 1982.
- 1996 - In the Indian state of Assam, a passenger train is bombed by Bodo separatists, killing 26.
- 1996 - Proposed budget cuts by Benjamin Netanyahu spark protests from 250,000 workers who shut down services across Israel.
- 1997 - In the worst incident in Algeria's insurgency, the Wilaya of Relizane massacres, 400 people are killed from four villages.
- 2000 - Rizal Day Bombings: A series of bombs explode in various places in Metro Manila, Philippines within a span of a few hours, killing 22 and injuring about a hundred.
- 2003 - U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft recuses himself and his office from the Plame affair.
- 2004 - A fire in the República Cromagnon nightclub in Buenos Aires, Argentina kills 194.
- 2005 - Tropical Storm Zeta forms in the open Atlantic, tying the record for the latest tropical cyclone ever to form in the North Atlantic basin.
- 2006 - Madrid Barajas International Airport is bombed.
- 2006 - Saddam Hussein is executed by hanging.
- 39 - Roman Emperor Titus (d. 81)
- 1204 - Abû 'Uthmân Sa'îd Hakam al Qurashi, ruler of Minorca (d. 1282)
- 1552 - Simon Forman, English occultist and astrologer (d. 1611)
- 1642 - Vicenzo da Filicaja, Italian poet (d. 1707)
- 1673 - Ahmed III, Ottoman Sultan (d. 1736)
- 1678 - William Croft, English composer (d. 1727)
- 1722 - Charles Yorke, Lord Chancellor of Great Britain (d. 1770)
- 1724 - Louis-Jean-François Lagrenée, French painter (d. 1805)
- 1740 - Princess Elizabeth Caroline of Wales (d. 1759)
- 1785 - Dorothea Lieven, Russian noblewoman (d. 1857)
- 1819 - Theodor Fontane, German writer (d. 1898)
- 1838 - Émile Loubet, 7th President of France (d.1929)
- 1851 - Asa Griggs Candler, American businessman and politician (d. 1929)
- 1853 - André Messager, French composer (d. 1929)
- 1865 - Rudyard Kipling, British writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1936)
- 1869 - Stephen Butler Leacock, British-born, Canadian writer and economist (d. 1944)
- 1873 - Al Smith, American politician (d. 1944)
- 1878 - William Aberhart, Canadian politician (d. 1943)
- 1879 - Sri Ramana Maharshi, Indian philosopher (d. 1950)
- 1883 - Lester Patrick, Canadian ice hockey player and coach (d. 1960)
- 1884 - Hideki Tojo, Prime Minister of Japan (d. 1948)
- 1890 - Adolfo Ruiz Cortines, President of Mexico (d. 1973)
- 1897 - Alfredo Bracchi, Italian author (d. 1976)
- 1899 - Helge Ingstad, Norwegian explorer (d. 2001)
- 1904 - Dmitri Kabalevsky, Russian composer (d. 1987)
- 1906 - Carol Reed, English film director (d. 1976)
- 1910 - Paul Bowles, American composer and author (d. 1999)
- 1911 - Jeanette Nolan, American actress (d. 1998)
- 1913 - Elyne Mitchell, Australian author (d. 2002)
- 1913 - Lucio Agostini, Italian-born Canadian conductor and composer (d. 1996)
- 1914 - Bert Parks, American television host (d. 1992)
- 1914 - Jo Van Fleet, American actress (d. 1996)
- 1917 - Seymour Melman, American industrial engineer (d. 2004)
- 1920 - Jack Lord, American actor (d. 1998)
- 1921 - Rashid Karami, Lebanese statesman (d. 1987)
- 1927 - Bernard Barrow, American actor (d. 1993)
- 1928 - Bo Diddley, American singer and musician
- 1929 - Barbara Nichols, American actress (d. 1976)
- 1931 - Skeeter Davis, American singer (d. 2004)
- 1934 - John Norris Bahcall, American physicist (d. 2005)
- 1934 - Joseph Bologna, American actor
- 1934 - Joseph P. Hoar, American general
- 1934 - Del Shannon, American singer (d. 1990)
- 1934 - Russ Tamblyn, American actor, dancer, and singer
- 1935 - Omar Bongo, President of Gabon
- 1935 - Sandy Koufax, American baseball player
- 1935 - Jack Riley, American actor
- 1937 - Gordon Banks, English footballer and World Cup winner
- 1937 - John Hartford, American musician (d. 2001)
- 1937 - Jim Marshall, American football player
- 1937 - Noel Paul Stookey, American folk singer (Peter)
- 1940 - James Burrows, American television director
- 1941 - Mel Renfro, American football player
- 1942 - Vladimir Bukovsky, Russian author and dissident
- 1942 - Michael Nesmith, American singer and musician (The Monkees)
- 1942 - Janko Prunk, Slovenian historian
- 1942 - Fred Ward, American actor
- 1942 - Guy Edwards, British racing driver
- 1945 - Davy Jones, English singer (The Monkees)
- 1945 - Concetta Tomei, American actress
- 1945 - Vernon Wells, Australian actor
- 1946 - Patti Smith, American singer
- 1947 - Michael Burns, American historian
- 1947 - Jeff Lynne, English musician (ELO)
- 1949 - Jim Flaherty, Canadian politician
- 1950 - Lewis Shiner, American sci-fi/fantasy author
- 1951 - Doug Allder, English footballer
- 1952 - June Anderson, American soprano
- 1953 - Bill Kazmaier, American powerlifter
- 1953 - Harald Schmautz, German-born journalist
- 1953 - Meredith Vieira, American television journalist
- 1955 - Dindo Yogo, Congolese musician (d. 2000)
- 1956 - Suzy Bogguss, American singer
- 1956 - Sheryl Lee Ralph, American actress
- 1957 - Matt Lauer, American newscaster
- 1958 - Rod Harrington, English darts player
- 1958 - Steven L. Smith, American astronaut
- 1959 - Tracey Ullman, English actress and singer
- 1961 - Douglas Coupland, Canadian author
- 1961 - Sean Hannity, American talk radio host
- 1961 - Ben Johnson, Canadian athlete
- 1962 - Henry Cho, Korean-American comedian
- 1963 - Chandler Burr, American author
- 1963 - Michelle Douglas, Canadian human rights activist
- 1963 - Milan Šrejber, Czech tennis player
- 1964 - Sylvie Moreau, Quebec television and film actress
- 1964 - Duglas T. Stewart, Scottish musician (BMX Bandits)
- 1965 - Heidi Fleiss, American madam
- 1967 - Carl Ouellet, Canadian professional wrestler
- 1969 - Dave England, American television personality
- 1969 - Jay Kay, English musician (Jamiroquai)
- 1971 - Daniel Sunjata, American actor
- 1971 - Rahul Dravid, Indian cricket captain
- 1972 - Kerry Collins, American football player
- 1972 - Paul Keegan, Irish footballer
- 1972 - Steven Wiig, American actor and musician
- 1973 - Jason Behr, American actor
- 1973 - Ato Boldon, Trinidadian athlete
- 1973 - Nacho Vidal, Spanish porn star
- 1974 - Johanna Sällström, Swedish actress (d. 2007)
- 1975 - Scott Chipperfield, Australian soccer player
- 1975 - Tiger Woods, American golfer
- 1976 - Meredith Monroe, American actress
- 1976 - Alex A. Quinn, American actor
- 1976 - A.J. Pierzynski, American baseball player
- 1977 - Kenyon Martin, American basketball player
- 1977 - Scott Lucas, Australian rules footballer
- 1977 - Laila Ali, American boxer
- 1977 - Grant Balfour, Australian baseball player
- 1978 - Tyrese, American singer and actor
- 1978 - Zbigniew Robert Promiński, Polish drummer
- 1979 - Flávio Amado, Angolan footballer
- 1980 - Eliza Dushku, American actress
- 1980 - Kenny Kwan, Hong Kong singer
- 1981 - Ali Al Habsi, Omani footballer
- 1981 - Michael Rodríguez, Costa Rican footballer
- 1981 - Haley Paige, American pornstar
- 1982 - Kristin Kreuk, Canadian actress
- 1982 - Dathan Ritzenhein, American runner
- 1984 - LeBron James, American basketball player
- 1984 - Randall Azofeifa, Costa Rican footballer
- 1985 - Lars Boom, Dutch cyclist
- 1989 - Ryan Sheckler, American professional skateboarder
- 1218 - Richard de Clare, English politician (b. 1162)
- 1460 - Richard, claimant to the English throne (killed in battle) (b. 1411)
- 1525 - Jacob Fugger, German banker (b. 1459)
- 1572 - Galeazzo Alessi, Italian architect (b. 1512)
- 1573 - Giovanni Battista Giraldi, Italian writer (b. 1504)
- 1591 - Pope Innocent IX (b. 1519)
- 1621 - Saint Job of Maniava, Ukrainian Orthodox Saint (b. 1550)
- 1640 - John Francis Regis, French saint (b. 1597)
- 1644 - Jan Baptist van Helmont, Flemish chemist (b. 1577)
- 1662 - Archduke Ferdinand Charles of Austria (b. 1628)
- 1691 - Robert Boyle, Irish scientist (b. 1627)
- 1769 - Nicholas Taaffe, Austrian soldier (b. 1685)
- 1803 - Francis Lewis, signer of the American Declaration of Independence (b. 1713)
- 1896 - José Rizal, national hero of the Philippines (b. 1861) (executed)
- 1908 - Thomas-Alfred Bernier, Canadian lawyer, journalist and senator (b. 1844)
- 1941 - El Lissitzky, Russian artist and architect (b. 1890)
- 1944 - Romain Rolland, French writer, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1866)
- 1954 - Archduke Eugen of Austria, Austrian field marshal (b. 1863)
- 1955 - Rex Ingamells, Australian poet (b. 1913)
- 1967 - Vincent Massey, Governor-General of Canada (b. 1887)
- 1968 - Trygve Lie, Norwegian politician, first United Nations Secretary General (b. 1896)
- 1970 - Sonny Liston, American boxer (b. 1932)
- 1971 - Melba Rae, American actress (Search for Tomorrow) (b. 1922)
- 1979 - Richard Rodgers, American composer (b. 1902)
- 1981 - Alfie Anido, Filipino actor (b. 1959)
- 1984 - Massa, oldest gorilla on record (b. 1930)
- 1986 - Era Bell Thompson, American journalist (b. 1905)
- 1988 - Yuli Daniel, Russian writer (b. 1925)
- 1989 - Lenore Lemmon, wife of George Reeves (b. 1923)
- 1992 - Ling-Ling, panda given to the USA by China (b. 1969)
- 1993 - Mack David, American lyricist and songwriter (b. 1912)
- 1993 - Irving "Swifty" Lazar, American Hollywood talent agent (b. 1907)
- 1993 - Giuseppe Occhialini, Italian physicist (b. 1907)
- 1994 - Dmitri Ivanenko, Russian physicist (b. 1904)
- 1994 - Maureen Starkey, wife of Ringo Starr (b. 1946)
- 1995 - Doris Grau, American actress (b. 1924)
- 1996 - Lew Ayres, American actor (b. 1908)
- 1996 - Jack Nance, American actor (b. 1943)
- 1997 - Shinichi Hoshi, Japanese novelist (b. 1926)
- 1998 - George Webb, English actor (b. 1911)
- 1998 - Johnny Moore, American singer (The Drifters) (b. 1934)
- 1999 - Fritz Leonhardt, German structural engineer (b. 1909)
- 1999 - Sarah Knauss, American, once considered the world's oldest living person (b. 1880)
- 2000 - Julius J. Epstein, American screenwriter (b. 1909)
- 2002 - Mary Brian, American actress (b. 1906)
- 2002 - Mary Wesley, English novelist (b. 1912)
- 2003 - David Bale, South African-born activist (cancer) (b. 1941)
- 2003 - John Gregory Dunne, American writer (b. 1932)
- 2003 - Anita Mui, Hong Kong singer and actress (b. 1963)
- 2004 - Artie Shaw, American jazz clarinetist, composer, and bandleader (b. 1910)
- 2005 - Rona Jaffe, American author (b. 1932)
- 2006 - Saddam Hussein, former Iraqi President (b. 1937) (executed)
- 2006 - Terry Peck, Falkland Islander (b. 1938) who acted as a scout for 3rd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment in the Falklands War
Holidays and observances
80 Familypedia people were born on December 30
133 Familypedia people died on December 30
66 Familypedia people were first married on December 30