|December 12 in recent years
December 12 is the 346th day of the year (347th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 19 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 627 - Battle of Nineveh: A Byzantine army under Emperor Heraclius defeated Emperor Khosrau II's Persian forces, commanded by General Rhahzadh.
- 1098 - First Crusade: Massacre of Ma'arrat al-Numan - Crusaders breach the town's walls and massacre about 20,000 inhabitants. After finding themselves with insufficient food, they resort to cannibalism.
- 1531 - Apparition of Our Lady of Guadalupe to Juan Diego in Mexico City.
- 1781 - American Revolutionary War: Second Battle of Ushant - A Royal Navy squadron, commanded by Rear Admiral Richard Kempenfelt in HMS Victory, defeats a French fleet.
- 1812 - French invasion of Russia comes to an end.
- 1862 - USS Cairo sank on the Yazoo River, becoming the first armored ship to be sunk by an electrically detonated mine.
- 1870 - Joseph H. Rainey of South Carolina becomes the first black U.S. congressman.
- 1897 - Belo Horizonte, the first planned city of Brazil, is inaugurated.
- 1901 - Guglielmo Marconi receives the first trans-Atlantic radio signal at Signal Hill in St John's.
- 1911 - Delhi replaces Calcutta as the capital of India.
- 1914 - The largest one-day percentage drop in the history of Dow Jones Industrial Average, down 24.39%.
- 1915 - President of the Republic of China, Yuan Shikai announces his intention to reinstate the monarchy and proclaim himself Emperor of China.
- 1917 - In Nebraska, Father Edward J. Flanagan founds Boys Town as a farm village for wayward boys.
- 1925 - The Majlis of Iran votes to crown Reza Khan as the new Shah of Persia.
- 1936 - Xi'an Incident: The Generalissimo of the Republic of China, Chiang Kai-shek was kidnapped by Zhang Xueliang.
- 1937 - Panay incident: Japanese aircraft shell and sink US gunboat Panay on the Yangtze River in China.
- 1939 - Winter War: Battle of Tolvajärvi - Finnish forces defeat those of the Soviet Union in their first major victory of the conflict.
- 1940 - Approximately 70 people are killed in the Marples Hotel, Fitzalan Square, Sheffield as a result of a German air raid.
- 1941 - World War II: Fifty four Japanese A6M Zero fighters raid Batangas Field, Philippines. Jesus Villamor and four Filipino fighter pilots fend them off; Cesar Basa is killed.
- 1941 - World War II: USMC F4F "Wildcats" sink the first 4 major Japanese ships off Wake Island.
- 1941 - World War II: Great Britain declares war on Bulgaria. Hungary and Romania declare war on the United States. India declares war on Japan.
- 1942 - A fire in a hostel in St. John's kills 100 people.
- 1946 - A fire at a New York City ice plant spreads to a nearby tenement killing 37 people.
- 1948 - Malayan Emergency: Batang Kali Massacre - 14 members of the Scots Guards stationed in Malaysia allegedly massacre 24 unarmed civilians and set fire to the village.
- 1950 - Paula Ackerman, the first woman appointed to perform rabbinical functions in the United States, leads the congregation in her first services.
- 1956 - Commencement of the Irish Republican Army's Border Campaign.
- 1963 - Kenya gains its independence from the United Kingdom.
- 1964 - Prime Minister Jomo Kenyatta became the first President of the Republic of Kenya.
- 1969 - Strategia della tensione: Piazza Fontana bombing - The offices of Banca Nazionale dell'Agricoltura in Piazza Fontana, Milan, are bombed.
- 1979 - Coup d'état of December Twelfth: South Korean Army Major General Chun Doo-hwan orders the arrest of Army Chief of Staff General Jeong Seung-hwa without authorization from President Choi Kyu-ha, alleging involvement in the assassination of ex-President Park Chung Hee.
- 1979 - Pakistan President Zia-ul-Haq conferred Nishan-e-Imtiaz on Nobel laureate Dr Abdus Salam.
- 1979 - Rhodesia changes its name to Zimbabwe.
- 1982 - Women's peace protest at Greenham Common - 30,000 women hold hands and form a human chain around the 14.5 km (9 mi) perimeter fence.
- 1984 - Maaouiya Ould Sid'Ahmed Taya become the third president of Mauritania after coup d'etat against Mohamed Khouna Ould Haidalla while the later was attending a summit. Taya was ousted in March 2005 by Ely Ould Mohamed Vall in another coup.
- 1985 - Arrow Air Flight 1285 crashes after takeoff in Gander, Newfoundland killing 256, including 248 members of the United States Army's 101st Airborne Division.
- 1988 - Clapham Junction rail crash killed 35 and injured 100's after two collisions of three commuter trains. One of the worst train crashes in Britain.
- 1991 - Russian Federation gains independance from the USSR.
- 2000 - The United States Supreme Court released its decision in Bush v. Gore
- 2006 - Peugeot produce their last car at the Ryton Plant signalling the end of mass car production in Coventry, formerly a major centre of the British motor industry.
- 1298 - Albert II of Austria (d. 1358)
- 1418 - Albert VI of Austria (d. 1463)
- 1574 - Anne of Denmark, queen consort of James I of England (d. 1619)
- 1610 - Saint Vasilije (d. 1671)
- 1659 - Francesco Galli-Bibiena, Italian architect/designer (d. 1739)
- 1712 - Prince Charles Alexander of Lorraine, Austrian military leader (d. 1780)
- 1724 - Samuel Hood, British admiral (d. 1816)
- 1745 - John Jay, 1st Chief Justice of the United States (d. 1829)
- 1779 - Madeleine Sophie Barat, French saint (d. 1865)
- 1783 - Ner Alexander Middleswarth, American politician (d. 1865)
- 1786 - William L. Marcy, American statesman (d. 1857)
- 1791 - Archduchess Marie Louise of Austria, second wife of Napoleon (d. 1847)
- 1799 - Karl Briullov, Russian painter (d. 1852)
- 1805 - William Lloyd Garrison, American abolitionist (d. 1879)
- 1806 - Stand Watie, American Confederate general (d. 1871)
- 1821 - Gustave Flaubert, French writer (d. 1880)
- 1845 - Bruce Price, American architect (d. 1903)
- 1849 - William Kissam Vanderbilt, member of the Vanderbilt family (d. 1920)
- 1863 - Edvard Munch, Norwegian painter (d. 1944)
- 1864 - Paul Elmer More, American essayist (d. 1937)
- 1866 - Alfred Werner, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1919)
- 1870 - Walter Benona Sharp, American oil baron (d. 1912)
- 1875 - Gerd von Rundstedt, German field marshal (d. 1953)
- 1876 - Alvin Kraenzlein, Olympic gold medalist (d. 1928)
- 1887 - Kurt Atterberg, Swedish composer (d. 1974)
- 1892 - Herman Potočnik Noordung, Austro-Hungarian-born rocket engineer (d. 1929)
- 1893 - Edward G. Robinson, American actor (d. 1973)
- 1900 - Sammy Davis, American dancer (d. 1988)
- 1902 - Koloman Sokol, Slovak painter (d. 2003)
- 1903 - Dagmar Nordstrom, American composer (d. 1976)
- 1903 - Yasujirō Ozu, Japanese film director (d. 1963)
- 1904 - Nicolas de Gunzburg, magazine editor and socialite (d. 1981)
- 1905 - Mànes Sperber, Austro-Hungarian-born writer (d. 1984)
- 1907 - Roy Douglas, British composer and orchestrator
- 1909 - Karen Morley, American actress (d. 2003)
- 1914 - Patrick O'Brian (Richard Patrick Russ), British author (d. 2000)
- 1915 - Frank Sinatra, American singer and actor (d. 1998)
- 1918 - Joe Williams, American singer (d. 1999)
- 1919 - Olivia Barclay, British astrologer (d. 2001)
- 1919 - Dan DeCarlo, American cartoonist (d. 2001)
- 1920 - Fred Kida, American comics artist
- 1923 - Bob Barker, American television game show host
- 1923 - Ken Kavanagh, Australian racing driver
- 1924 - Ed Koch, Mayor of New York City
- 1925 - Vladimir Shainsky, Soviet and Russian composer
- 1925 - Ahmad Shamlou, Iranian poet (d. 2000)
- 1927 - Honor Blackman, British actress
- 1927 - Robert Noyce, American inventor (d. 1990)
- 1928 - Chinghiz Aitmatov, Soviet-born Kyrgyz writer
- 1929 - John Osborne, British dramatist (d. 1994)
- 1929 - Toshiko Akiyoshi, Japanese musician
- 1930 - Bill Beutel, American Journalist (d. 2006)
- 1931 - Lionel Blair, British actor and choreographer
- 1932 - Bob Pettit, American basketball player
- 1934 - Miguel de la Madrid, President of Mexico
- 1938 - Connie Francis, American singer
- 1940 - Sharad Pawar, Indian politician
- 1940 - Dionne Warwick, American singer
- 1943 - Dickey Betts, American musician (The Allman Brothers)
- 1943 - Grover Washington, American saxophonist (d. 1999)
- 1944 - Kenneth Cranham, Scottish born actor
- 1944 - Jean Doré, Quebec politician, mayor of Montreal
- 1946 - Emerson Fittipaldi, Brazilian 2 time Formula 1 World Champion
- 1946 - Paula Wagner, American film executive
- 1948 - Tom Wilkinson, English actor
- 1949 - Rajnikanth, Indian(Tamil) actor also known as the Super Star of Indian Cinema
- 1949 - Bill Nighy, English actor
- 1950 - Billy Smith, National Hockey League goaltender
- 1952 - Harbance Singh (Herb) Dhaliwal, Canadian politician
- 1952 - Cathy Rigby, American gymnast
- 1953 - Bruce Kulick, American guitarist (Kiss)
- 1954 - Liz Claman, American television anchor
- 1955 - Gianna Angelopoulos-Daskalaki, Greek business woman
- 1956 - Johan van der Velde, Dutch cyclist
- 1957 - Sheila E., American musician
- 1957 - Robert Lepage, Quebec playwright
- 1962 - Tracy Austin, American tennis player
- 1962 - Mike Golic, former NFL football player
- 1964 - Sabu, American professional wrestler
- 1966 - Royce Gracie, Brazilian martial artist
- 1967 - John Randle, American football player
- 1967 - Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, Japanese composer
- 1967 - Yuzo Koshiro, Japanese composer
- 1968 - Rory Kennedy, American documentarian
- 1968 - Laurie Williams, Indian cricket player
- 1970 - Mädchen Amick, American actress
- 1970 - Jennifer Connelly, American actress
- 1970 - Regina Hall, American actress
- 1972 - Nicky Eaden, English footballer
- 1972 - Wilson Kipketer, Danish former middle distance runner
- 1972 - Kevin Parent, Quebec singer and songwriter
- 1972 - Brandon Teena, American hate crime victim
- 1972 - Yeoryios Theodoridis, Greek sprinter
- 1972 - Hank Williams III, grandson of Hank Williams
- 1973 - William Hutton, American engineer
- 1973 - Walter Otta, Argentine footballer
- 1974 - Nolberto Solano, Peruvian footballer
- 1975 - Mayim Bialik, American actress
- 1975 - Craig Moore, Australian footballer
- 1976 - Dan Hawkins, British guitarist (The Darkness)
- 1977 - Orlando Hudson, American baseball player
- 1977 - Bridget Hall, American supermodel
- 1977 - Colin White, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1977 - Nicole, American triplet Playboy models
- 1978 - Monica Barladeanu, Romanian actress
- 1978 - Evren Genis, Turkish composer
- 1979 - Garrett Atkins, American baseball player
- 1979 - Nate Clements, American football player
- 1979 - Sharin Foo, Danish singer and bassist
- 1981 - Jeret Peterson, American aerial skier
- 1981 - Ronnie Brown, American football player
- 1981 - Yuvraj Singh, Indian cricket player
- 1981 - Stephen Warnock, British footballer
- 1981 - Pedro Ríos, Spanish footballer
- 1982 - Dmitry Tursunov, Russian tennis player
- 1983 - Katrina Elam, American singer
- 1984 - Daniel Agger, Danish footballer
- 1986 - Perparim Hetemaj, Finnish footballer
- 1986 - Thomas Wansey, English television actor
- 1987 - Kate Todd, Canadian actress
- 1989 - Harry Eden, British actor
- 1991 - Daniel Magder, Canadian actor
- 884 - Carloman
- 1212 - Geoffrey
- 1569 - Metropolitan Philip of Moscow (b. 1507)
- 1574 - Selim II, Ottoman Sultan (b. 1524)
- 1586 - Stefan Batory, King of Poland (b. 1533)
- 1685 - John Pell, English mathematician (b. 1610)
- 1751 - Henry St John, English statesman and philosopher (b. 1678)
- 1754 - Wu Jingzi, Chinese writer (b. 1701)
- 1766 - Johann Christoph Gottsched, German writer (b. 1700)
- 1789 - John Ponsonby, Irish politician (b. 1713)
- 1790 - Mikhail Shcherbatov, Russian philosopher and writer (b. 1733)
- 1817 - Emperor Tekle Giyorgis I of Ethiopia, (b. about 1751)
- 1843 - King William I of the Netherlands, (b. 1772)
- 1858 - Jacques Viger, antiquarian and archeologist, first mayor of Montreal (b. 1787)
- 1889 - Robert Browning, British poet (b. 1812)
- 1889 - Viktor Bunyakovsky, Russian mathematician (b. 1804)
- 1894 - Sir John Thompson, fourth Prime Minister of Canada (b. 1845)
- 1913 - Emperor Menelek II of Ethiopia (b. 1844)
- 1923 - Raymond Radiguet, French author (b. 1903)
- 1926 - Jean Richepin, French poet (b. 1849)
- 1929 - Charles Goodnight, American cattle baron (b. 1836)
- 1939 - Douglas Fairbanks, American actor (b. 1883)
- 1941 - Cesar Basa, Philippine Air Force and World War II hero (b. 1915)
- 1952 - Bedřich Hrozný, Austro-Hungarian-born Czechoslovak orientalist and linguist (b. 1879)
- 1963 - Yasujiro Ozu, Japanese film director (b. 1903)
- 1968 - Tallulah Bankhead, American actress (b. 1902)
- 1970 - Doris Blackburn, Australian politician (b. 1889)
- 1971 - David Sarnoff, Russian-born American General Manager of RCA (b. 1891)
- 1976 - Vinko Zganec, Croatian ethnomusicologist (b. 1890)
- 1977 - Lady Spencer Churchill, wife of Winston Churchill (b. 1885)
- 1980 - Jean Lesage, politician, premier of Quebec (b. 1912)
- 1985 - Anne Baxter, American actress (b. 1923)
- 1985 - Ian Stewart, Scottish musician (b. 1938)
- 1992 - Suzanne Lilar, Belgian esssayist, novelist and playwright (b. 1901)
- 1993 - József Antall, Hungarian politician (b. 1932)
- 1994 - Stuart Roosa, American astronaut (b. 1933)
- 1996 - Vance Packard, American author (b. 1914)
- 1997 - Yevgeniy Landis, Russian mathematician (b. 1921)
- 1998 - Lawton Chiles, U.S. Senator from Florida and Governor of Florida (b. 1930)
- 1999 - Joseph Heller, American author (b. 1923)
- 2000 - George Montgomery, American actor (b. 1916)
- 2001 - Jean Richard, French actor (b. 1921)
- 2002 - Dee Brown, American author (b. 1908)
- 2002 - Jay Wesley Neill, American convicted murderer (b. 1965)
- 2002 - Brad Dexter, American actor (b. 1917)
- 2003 - Heydar Aliyev, President of Azerbaijan
- 2003 - Joseph Anthony Ferrario, American Catholic prelate (b. 1926)
- 2005 - Gebran Tueni, Lebanese politician (b. 1957)
- 2005 - Annette Vadim, Danish actress (b. 1936)
- 2005 - Robert F. Newmyer, American film producer (b. 1946)
- 2006 - Paul Arizin, American basketball player (b. 1928)
- 2006 - Peter Boyle, American actor (b. 1935)
- 2006 - Raymond P. Shafer, 38th Governor of Pennsylvania (b. 1917)
- 2006 - Al Shugart, pioneering American computer engineer and co-founder of Seagate Technology (b. 1930)
- 2006 - Kenny Davern, American jazz clarinetist (b. 1935)
Holidays and observances
114 Familypedia people were born on December 12
129 Familypedia people died on December 12
100 Familypedia people were first married on December 12