|Dakota City, Nebraska|
|— City —|
|• Total||1.2 sq mi (3.0 km2)|
|• Land||1.1 sq mi (2.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||1,096 ft (334 m)|
|• Density||1,728.7/sq mi (667.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0828554|
Dakota City is a city in Dakota County, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the Sioux City, IA–NE–SD Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 1,821 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Dakota County. Tyson Foods' largest beef production plant is located in Dakota City.
Dakota City is located at .(42.415294, -96.417808)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.2 square miles (3.1 km2), of which, 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (9.40%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,821 people, 596 households, and 448 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,728.7 people per square mile (669.6/km²). There were 627 housing units at an average density of 595.2 per square mile (230.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 84.62% White, 0.77% African American, 1.81% Native American, 1.92% Asian, 9.28% from other races, and 1.59% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 20.21% of the population.
There were 596 households out of which 42.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.7% were married couples living together, 10.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.8% were non-families. 18.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.99 and the average family size was 3.38.
In the city the population was spread out with 31.1% under the age of 18, 9.5% from 18 to 24, 31.1% from 25 to 44, 20.4% from 45 to 64, and 7.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 104.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 106.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $43,438, and the median income for a family was $45,987. Males had a median income of $30,612 versus $24,150 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,923. About 7.0% of families and 8.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.7% of those under age 18 and 7.2% of those age 65 or over.
- Ralph F. Beermann - Member of the United States House of Representatives from Nebraska
- James Young Deer - Silent-era American Indian director and actor.
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Dakota City, Nebraska. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|