|Cross County, Arkansas|
Courthouse in Wynne
Location in the state of Arkansas
Arkansas's location in the U.S.
|Founded||November 15, 1862|
622 sq mi (1,611 km²)
616 sq mi (1,595 km²)
5.9 sq mi (15 km²), 1.0%
29/sq mi (11/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Cross County is a county located in the U.S. state of Arkansas. As of the 2010 census, the population was 17,870. The county seat is Wynne. Cross County is Arkansas's 53rd county, formed on 15 November 1862 and named for Confederate Colonel David C. Cross, a political leader in the area.
Geography[edit | edit source]
Major highways[edit | edit source]
Adjacent counties[edit | edit source]
- Poinsett County (north)
- Crittenden County (east)
- St. Francis County (south)
- Woodruff County (west)
- Jackson County (northwest)
Demographics[edit | edit source]
|U.S. Decennial Census|
At the 2000 United States Census, there were 19,526 people, 7,391 household, and 5,447 families residing in the county. The population density was 32 per square mile (12/km²). There were 8,030 housing units at an average density of 13 per square mile (5/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 74.80% White, 23.70% Black or African American, 0.23% Native American, 0.31% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.21% from other races, and 0.74% from two or more races. 0.93% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 7,391 households of which 34.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.20% were married couples living together, 14.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.30% were non-families. 23.50% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.10% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.60 and the average family size was 3.07.
27.80% of the population were under the age of 18, 8.50% from 18 to 24, 27.40% from 25 to 44, 22.60% from 45 to 64, and 13.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 94.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.40 males.
The median household income was $29,362 and the median family income was $34,044. Males had a median income of $27,880 and females $20,133. The per capita income for the county was $15,726. About 16.40% of families and 19.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 27.90% of those under age 18 and 17.50% of those age 65 or over.
Communities[edit | edit source]
Cities[edit | edit source]
Unincorporated communities[edit | edit source]
Townships[edit | edit source]
Townships in Arkansas are the divisions of a county. Each township includes unincorporated areas and some may have incorporated towns or cities within part of their space. Townships have limited purposes in modern times. However, the US Census does list Arkansas population based on townships (often referred to as "minor civil divisions"). Townships are also of value for historical purposes in terms of genealogical research. Each town or city is within one or more townships in an Arkansas county based on census maps. The townships of Cross County are listed below with the town(s) and/or city that are fully or partially inside them listed in parentheses.
See also[edit | edit source]
- List of lakes in Cross County, Arkansas
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Cross County, Arkansas
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/05/05037.html. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Archived from the original on May 31, 2011. https://web.archive.org/web/20110531210815/http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved June 7, 2011.
- ^ "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. http://www2.census.gov/geo/docs/maps-data/data/gazetteer/counties_list_05.txt. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- ^ "County Totals Dataset: Population, Population Change and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". http://www.census.gov/popest/data/counties/totals/2015/CO-EST2015-alldata.html. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on May 11, 2015. http://www.webcitation.org/6YSasqtfX. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- ^ Forstall, Richard L., ed (March 27, 1995). "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/ar190090.txt. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. April 2, 2001. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- ^ Based on 2000 census data
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130911234518/http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved May 14, 2011.
- ^ U. S. Census Bureau. 2011 Boundary and Annexation Survey (BAS): Cross County, AR (Map). http://www2.census.gov/geo/pvs/bas/bas11/st05_ar/cou/c05037_cross/BAS11C20503700000_000.pdf. Retrieved August 6, 2011.
- ^ "Arkansas: 2010 Census Block Maps - County Subdivision". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/maps/block/2010/cousub/dc10blk_st05_cousub.html#C. Retrieved May 28, 2014.
[edit | edit source]
|Jackson County||Poinsett County|
|Woodruff County||Crittenden County|
Cross County, Arkansas
|St. Francis County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Cross County, Arkansas. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|