Hungary is subdivided administratively into 20 regions which are the 19 counties (megyék, singular: megye) and the capital city (főváros): Budapest. These are further subdivided into 173 subregions (kistérségek), with Budapest comprising its own subregion.
There are 23 towns with county's rights (megyei jogú városok, singular: megyei jogú város), sometimes called urban counties. The local authorities of these towns have extended powers but they are not independent territorial units.
There are five towns with county's rights in addition to the county seats:
- Érd (Pest county)
- Dunaújváros (Fejér county)
- Hódmezővásárhely (Csongrád county)
- Nagykanizsa (Zala county)
- Sopron (Győr-Moson-Sopron county)
See also Edit
- Regions of Hungary
- Subregions of Hungary
- Administrative divisions of the Kingdom of Hungary (until 1918)
- Administrative divisions of the Kingdom of Hungary (1941-44)
- List of towns in Hungary
- ISO 3166-2:HU