Cornelius Norton was born 27 February 1746 in Martha's Vineyard, Dukes County, Massachusetts to Peter Norton (1718-1792) and Sarah Bassett (1720-1804) and died circa 1818 Industry, Franklin County, Maine of unspecified causes. He married Lydia Claghorn (1744-) 12 December 1765 in Dukes County, Massachusetts.
Cornelius Norton was born on Martha's Vineyard, residing with his family in Edgartown MA where he carried on in the family tradition of operating a innhouse there ("inn-holder") (1787-1794). About 1795 he moved his family to Industry, Maine where he died in 1818.
Marriage & Family
He married LYDIA CLAGHORN (89) 12 Dec. 1765. He was deacon of the church in T. He had the following named children:
- Cornelius Norton (1760-1814)
- Ebenezer Norton (1762-1814) md Rebecca Norton
- Zebulon Norton (1764-) - lost at sea.
- Elizabeth Norton (1766-)
- Winthrop Norton (1768-1784) Lost at sea - buried at Crossways Cemetery
- Deborah Norton (1772-)
- Susannah Norton (1775-1849)
- Sarah Norton (1776-1852)
- Martha Norton (1775-1873)
- Lydia Norton (c1780-)