|Cornelius, North Carolina|
|— Town —|
|• Total||8.7 sq mi (22.6 km2)|
|• Land||8.5 sq mi (21.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|Elevation||804 ft (245 m)|
|• Density||1,415.5/sq mi (546.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0983573|
Cornelius is located at (35.478954, -80.884532).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 8.7 square miles (22.6 km2), of which, 8.5 square miles (21.9 km2) of it is land and 0.3 square miles (0.7 km2) of it (3.20%) is water. Cornelius is one of three towns in Mecklenburg county north of Charlotte. Along with its sister towns - Davidson and Huntersville - Cornelius serves as a suburb to Charlotte, NC.
As of the 2011, there were , 23,000 households, and 3,374 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,415.5 people per square mile (546.2/km2). There were 5,716 housing units at an average density of 676.0 per square mile (260.9/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 91.65% White, 5.62% African American, 0.21% Native American, 1.24% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.50% from other races, and 0.74% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.79% of the population.
There were 5,113 households out of which 28.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.8% were married couples living together, 6.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.0% were non-families. 27.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 2.87.
In the town the population was spread out with 22.4% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 36.7% from 25 to 44, 27.2% from 45 to 64, and 7.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 102.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.9 males.
According to a 2007 estimate, the median income for a household in the town was $76,520, and the median income for a family was $97,469. Males had a median income of $60,514 versus $39,489 for females. The per capita income for the town was $45,023. About 3.6% of families and 4.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.5% of those under age 18 and 6.0% of those age 65 or over.
Schools and librariesEdit
The citizens of Cornelius, NC attend the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. Elementary schools include Cornelius Elementary and JV Washam Elementary. Middle schools include the Bailey Middle School and Community School of Davidson
- Davidson Day School
- Lake Norman Christian School
- Grace Covenant Academy
- New Beginnings Christian Academy
- Phoenix Montessori Academy
- Cannon School, located in nearby Concord, serves Cornelius families
- St Mark's Grammar School, located in nearby Huntersville, serves Cornelius families
- Woodlawn School , located 1 mile north of Davidson College
Cornelius is served by a branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. The library is located in the heart of Cornelius, on Catawba Avenue just east of exit 28 on I-77.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ACSSAFFFacts?_event=Search&geo_id=16000US2979820&_geoContext=01000US%7C04000US29%7C16000US2979820&_street=&_county=cornelius&_cityTown=cornelius&_state=04000US37&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&ActiveGeoDiv=geoSelect&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=160&_submenuId=factsheet_1&ds_name=ACS_2007_3YR_SAFF&_ci_nbr=null&qr_name=null®=null%3Anull&_keyword=&_industry=
- ^ "Corneliis branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County". http://plcmc.org/Locations/branches.asp?id=6. Retrieved 2008-10-25.
- Official Cornelius, NC website
- Lake Norman Chamber of Commerce
- Cornelius Real Estate
- Visit Lake Norman
- Lake Norman Christian School
- Cornelius Communities
- Cornelius branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County
- Antiquity Cornelius, NC
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Cornelius, North Carolina. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|