Research Notes Edit
Notable people Edit
- Tristram Coffin (1605-1681): English colonist of Newbury, Massachusetts, and then original landowner of Nantucket.
- William Coffin (1699–1775): merchant, co-founder of Trinity Church
- Sir Isaac Coffin (1759–1839): ( NCoffin, WCoffin, NCoffin, JCoffin, TCoffin2, PCoffin) - British Naval admiral in the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars, 1st Baron of the Magdelena Islands of the Gulf of St Lawrence.
- Charles E. Coffin (1841–1912): industrialist, U.S. congressman
- Charles Albert Coffin (1844-1926): ( ACoffin, CFCoffin, ACoffin, SCoffin5, ZCoffin, SCoffin4, SCoffin3, TCoffin2, PCoffin1) - industrialist, co-founder of General Electric and its first president.
- Henry Coffin Nevins (1843–1892): industrialist
- John Coffin Jones, Sr. (1750-1829): Speaker of the Massachusetts House of Representatives
- John Coffin Jones, Jr. (1796-1861): ( JCJones1, ACoffin, JCoffin4, NCoffin3, TCoffin2, TCoffin1) - First Consul General to Hawaii (assigned in 1820)
- Coffin, Mary (1645-1717): (granddaughter) distinqushed Quaker preacher of Nantucket Island.
- Coffin, Sarah (1815-1897): ( NCoffin, JCoffin, ECoffin, NCoffin, TCoffin3, TCoffin2, PCoffin1) - wife of Charles Beecher (1815-1900), noted American minister, composer of religious hymns and a prolific author.
- Thomas Coffin Amory (1812–1889): lawyer, author
- Thomas Jonathan Coffin Amory (1828–1864): Civil War general
- Genealogy of the Early Generations of the Coffin Family of New England - 1870 work by Silvanus Jenkins Macy (Author), Nathaniel Wheeler Coffin (Author), William S. Appleton (Author) - This scarce antiquarian book is a facsimile reprint of the original. Due to its age, it may contain imperfections such as marks, notations, marginalia and flawed pages. Because we believe this work is culturally important, we have made it available as part of our commitment for protecting, preserving, and promoting the world's literature in affordable, high quality, modern editions that are true to the original work.
- Nathaniel Coffin at Find A Grave #126993335
- Gatherings toward a genealogy of the Coffin family. by Appleton, William S. Published 1896 page 11
- Nathaniel Coffin - GENI
- COFFIN GATHERINGS: Five Generations of Descendants of Tristram Coffin of Newbury and Nantucket, By W. S. Appleton. Boston: Press of David Clapp & Son, 1896, p 5. [An outgrowth of the anniversary meeting of the Coffin family at Nantucket in 1881.]
- See Vital Records of Newbury MA.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.