|— district —|
|• Total||1,781 km2 (688 sq mi)|
|• Density||126/km2 (330/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Champawat district is a district of Uttarakhand state in northern India. The town of Champawat is the administrative headquarters.As a district, Champawat is divided in to five Tehsils naming Barakot, Champawat, Lohaghat, Pati, Purnagiri.
Champawat District is part of the eastern Kumaon Division of Uttarakhand. It is bounded on the north by Pithoragarh District, on the east by Nepal, on the south by Udham Singh Nagar District, on the west by Nainital District, and on the northwest by Almora District.
Economy[edit | edit source]
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Champawat one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the three districts in Uttaranchal currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
Demographics[edit | edit source]
According to the 2011 census Champawat district has a population of 259,315,  roughly equal to the nation of Vanuatu. This gives it a ranking of 579th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 147 inhabitants per square kilometre (380 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 15.49 %. Champawat has a sex ratio of 981 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 80.73 %.
According to the 2001 Indian census, the Champawat district had a population of 224,542. Hindus 216,646, Muslims 6,642 (2.95%), Christians 626.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. http://www.census2011.co.in/district.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- ^ a b Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme". National Institute of Rural Development. http://www.nird.org.in/brgf/doc/brgf_BackgroundNote.pdf. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- ^ a b c d e f "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. http://www.census2011.co.in/district.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- ^ US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2119rank.html. Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Vanuatu 224,564 July 2011 est."
- ^ "Uttarakhand - Districts of India: Know India". National Portal of India. http://india.gov.in/knowindia/districts/andhra1.php?stateid=UA. Retrieved 2009-04-04.
[edit | edit source]
|Almora district||Pithoragarh district|
|Udham Singh Nagar district|
|Divisions and districts of Uttarakhand|
|Kumaon division: Almora | Bageshwar | Champawat | Nainital | Pithoragarh | Udham Singh Nagar|
|Garhwal division: Chamoli | Dehradun | Haridwar | Pauri Garhwal | Rudra Prayag | Tehri Garhwal | Uttarkashi|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Champawat district. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|