|Candler County, Georgia|
Candler County courthouse in Metter
Location in the state of Georgia (U.S. state)
Georgia's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Allen D. Candler|
249 sq mi (645 km²)
243 sq mi (629 km²)
5.8 sq mi (15 km²), 2.3%
45/sq mi (17/km²)
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Candler County is a county located in the U.S. state of Georgia. As of the 2010 census, the population was 10,998. The county seat is Metter. The county was founded in 1914 and named for Allen D. Candler, the 56th governor of Georgia.
Geography[edit | edit source]
Major highways[edit | edit source]
- Interstate 16
- State Route 23
- State Route 46
- State Route 57
- State Route 121
- State Route 129
- State Route 404
Adjacent counties[edit | edit source]
Demographics[edit | edit source]
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,577 people, 3,375 households, and 2,426 families residing in the county. The population density was 39 people per square mile (15/km²). There were 3,893 housing units at an average density of 16 per square mile (6/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 65.45% White, 27.08% Black or African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 6.16% from other races, and 0.81% from two or more races. 9.21% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 3,375 households out of which 33.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.80% were married couples living together, 14.30% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.10% were non-families. 23.90% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.17.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.80% under the age of 18, 9.40% from 18 to 24, 26.10% from 25 to 44, 22.50% from 45 to 64, and 15.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 100.60 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.40 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $25,022, and the median income for a family was $30,705. Males had a median income of $24,482 versus $18,750 for females. The per capita income for the county was $12,958. About 21.40% of families and 26.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 36.90% of those under age 18 and 22.00% of those age 65 or over.
Education[edit | edit source]
Communities[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/13/13043.html. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ appreciation
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- ^ "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/ga190090.txt. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
[edit | edit source]
Candler County, Georgia
|Tattnall County||Evans County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Candler County, Georgia. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|