|Elevation:||580 m (1,903 ft)|
|State District:||Northern Tablelands|
|Federal Division:||New England|
Bukkulla is a hamlet about 30 kilometres (19 mi) north of Inverell and north-east of Bannockburn on the Ashford Road. This hamlet is within the boundaries of Arrawatta County and Inverell Shire, New South Wales, Australia. The village is at elevation of about 580 metres. In the 2006 Census, there were 145 persons usually resident in the Bukkulla area.
Bukkulla was the name of the 130,000-acre (530 km2) property of George Wyndham (1801-1870) and means 'place of leopard tree' or a ‘high black stump’. Wyndham was the first official licensee when he held the Macintyre River property in 1839. The 1841 census recorded Bukkulla as having 3 free males, 1 convict there. Wyndham started a vineyard there along with a Thoroughbred horse stud which bred some good horses. The Bukkulla stud also produced some good stockhorses and horses for the Indian trade, too. In 1850 there were 300 horses, 2,000 cattle and 7,000 sheep on Bukkulla. The property was later subdivided by Wyndham Brothers into Karoola, Redbank, Arthur’s Seat, Dinton Vale and Westholme, etc.
Bukkulla Post Office opened on 1 April 1876 and closed in 1980.
The district’s primary industries are sheep and beef cattle breeding.
The village now has a sports ground, a public telephone, several homes and a communications tower. Macintyre Station is nearby.
- ^ a b Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Bukkulla (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABSNavigation/prenav/LocationSearch?collection=Census&period=2006&areacode=SSC16527&producttype=QuickStats&breadcrumb=PL&action=401. Retrieved 2008-06-28.
- ^ a b Keith R. Binney, Horsemen of the First Frontier (1788-1900) and the Serpents Legacy, Volcanic Productions, Sydney, 2005, xxxii + 542 pages; ISBN 0-646-44865-X
- ^ "Bukkulla". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/place_naming/placename_search/extract?id=JPjLlMrXKW. Retrieved 28 June 2009.
- ^ Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. https://www.premierpostal.com/cgi-bin/wsProd.sh/Viewpocdwrapper.p?SortBy=NSW&country=. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- The Beardies Heritage, Poly-Graphics Pty. Ltd., Brisbane, 1972
- "Unlocking Regional Memory - Bukkulla Station (1839 - )". New South Wales electronic regional archives. http://www.nswera.net.au/biogs/UNE0073b.htm.
|This New South Wales geography article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Bukkulla, New South Wales. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|