|Boone County, Iowa|
Boone County Courthouse
Location in the state of Iowa
Iowa's location in the U.S.
574 sq mi (1,487 km²)
572 sq mi (1,481 km²)
2.1 sq mi (5 km²), 0.4%
46/sq mi (18/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Boone County was established January 13, 1846, from free land. It was named after Captain Nathan Boone, son of Daniel Boone, an American pioneer, who had formed the Wilderness Trail and founded the town Boonesborough, Kentucky.
- Webster County (northwest)
- Hamilton County (northeast)
- Story County (east)
- Polk County (southeast)
- Dallas County (south)
- Greene County (west)
|U.S. Decennial Census|
The 2010 census recorded a population of 26,306 in the county, with a population density of 46.07/sq mi (17.788/km2). There were 11,756 housing units, of which 10,728 were occupied.
As of the census of 2000, there were 26,224 people, 10,374 households, and 7,137 families residing in the county. The population density was 46 people per square mile (18/km²). There were 10,968 housing units at an average density of 19 per square mile (7/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 98.53% White, 0.36% Black or African American, 0.20% Native American, 0.22% Asian, 0.26% from other races, and 0.43% from two or more races. 0.83% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 10,374 households out of which 31.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.00% were married couples living together, 7.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.20% were non-families. 26.70% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 2.95.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.80% under the age of 18, 8.40% from 18 to 24, 27.10% from 25 to 44, 23.30% from 45 to 64, and 16.40% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 95.90 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.70 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $40,763, and the median income for a family was $49,346. Males had a median income of $32,504 versus $23,838 for females. The per capita income for the county was $19,943. About 4.50% of families and 7.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.00% of those under age 18 and 5.90% of those age 65 or over.
- Woodward (partial)
- Pilot Mound
- Sheldahl (partial)
Boone County is divided into seventeen townships:
- Des Moines
- Pilot Mound
The population ranking of the following table is based on the 2010 census of Boone County.
† county seat
|Rank||City/Town/etc.||Municipal type||Population (2010 Census)
|4||Sheldahl (partially in Polk and Story Counties)||City||319|
- Boone County Courthouse (Iowa)
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Boone County, Iowa
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/19/19015.html. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ History of the Origin of the Place Names in Nine Northwestern States. 1908. pp. 12. https://books.google.com/books?id=q_lKAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA12#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "County Totals Dataset: Population, Population Change and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". http://www.census.gov/popest/data/counties/totals/2015/CO-EST2015-alldata.html. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- ^ "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/ia190090.txt. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- ^ "Population and Housing Occupancy Status: 2010 - State -- County". United States Census Bureau American FactFinder. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST05&prodType=table. Retrieved March 8, 2011.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ http://www.census.gov/2010census/
- Boone County government's website
- Boone County Republican, Google news archive. —PDFs of 1,242 issues, dating from 1873 to 1897.
|Webster County||Hamilton County|
|Greene County||Story County|
Boone County, Iowa
|Dallas County||Polk County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Boone County, Iowa. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|