Bolesław-Yuri II of Halych (Polish Bolesław Jerzy II Mazowiecki, also known as "of Mazovia", Boleslaw-Yuri II, and Jerzy-Bolesław Trojdenowicz, (1308 – April 7, 1340) was a ruler of the Polish Piast dynasty who reigned in the originally Ruthenian principality of Halych. After his death started the Halych–Volhynia Wars over succession of Halych and Volhynia.
Boleslaw was born between 1305 and 1310 to Trojden I of Masovia from the Piast dynasty, Duke of Czersk and Maria, daughter of Yuri I, prince of Halych. Since his father was still a ruler of the family's Masovian lands, in 1323 Bolesław, renamed Yuri, became Prince of Halych. He also received the Duchy of Belz after the childless death of Andrei Yurfuevich of Halych. In 1331 he married Eufimija daughter of Grand Duke of Lithuania Gediminas and sister of Aldona of Lithuania, wife of Casimir III of Poland. Name of Bolesław's wife is disputed. T. Narbutt wrote that her pagan name was Eufemia and her Christian name was Maria. Oswald Balzer supposed that her Christian name was Eufemija. Kazimierz Jasiński supposed that whole Narbutt's account was fabrication.
In a treaty of 1338 Bolesław- Yuri offered III of Poland succession to the throne of Principality of Halych-Volhynia. Duke Bolesław-Yuri was supported by the many German townspeople already living there. In 1324 Boleslaw located the towns of Vladimir-Volynsky on Magdeburg law, and Sanok in 1339. He was poisoned in 1340 by orthodox boyars and died without an heir, before his father who continued rule Masovian principality.
- ^ Jasiński, Kazimierz (1998). Rodowód Piastów mazowieckich. Poznań - Wrocław: Wydawnictwo Historyczne. p. 59. ISBN 83-913563-0-2.
- ^ a b c Jasiński, Kazimierz (1998). Rodowód Piastów mazowieckich. Poznań - Wrocław: Wydawnictwo Historyczne. p. 60. ISBN 83-913563-0-2.
- ^ Sanok city privilege in Latin (Digitalbibliothek of AGAD, Nr 7226.)
- Jan Řežabek, Jiří II", poslední kníže veśkeré Malé Rusi, kritickí pokus, «Časopis musea království českého», ročnik LVII, Praha, 1883.
- Oswald Balzer Genealogia Piastów (1895) (see: Digitalbibliothek of Great Poland: )
- Maciej Wilamowski Piastowie. Leksykon biograficzny, Kraków 1999.
|Offspring of Eufemija of Lithuania and Boleslaw-Yuri II of Halych (1308-1340)|
|Anna of Płock (1323-1363)||1324||16 February 1363|| Henry V of Zagan (c1319-c1369)|
|Bolesław III of Płock (c1325-1351)|
Boleslaw-Yuri II of Halych (1308-1340)Born: 1308 Died: 1340
Andrei Yuryevich and Lev Yuryevich
| King of Halych-Volhynia|
| Succeeded by|
Casimir III of Poland
|DATE OF BIRTH|
|PLACE OF BIRTH|
|DATE OF DEATH|
|PLACE OF DEATH|