|— District of Uttar Pradesh —|
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||Banda|
|• Total||.4413 km2 (0.1704 sq mi)|
|• Density||3,400,000/km2 (8,800,000/sq mi)|
Banda is famous for its Shajar stone, used for making jewellery, and the historically and architecturally significant sites Khajuraho and Kalinjar. Khajuraho is a World Heritage Site famous for its elaborately carved temples. The fortress of Kalinjar is famed for its war history and its glorious rock sculptures.
History[edit | edit source]
In 1998, the tehsils of Karwi and Mau, formerly part of Banda District, became the new Chitrakoot District.
Geography[edit | edit source]
The district largely consists of irregular uplands with outcrops of rocks intermingling with lowlands, which are frequently under water during the rainy season. The Baghein River traverses the district from south-west to north-east. Other important rivers are the Ken River in the east and the Yamuna to the north.The dominant communities of this area are of Kshatriyas, Patels, Chandrauls, Chandelas, Bundelas etc.
Economy[edit | edit source]
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Banda one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the 34 districts in Uttar Pradesh currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
Divisions[edit | edit source]
Demographics[edit | edit source]
According to the 2011 census Banda district has a population of 1,799,541, roughly equal to the nation of The Gambia or the US state of Nebraska. This gives it a ranking of 265th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 404 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,050 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 17.06 %. Banda has a sex ratio of 863 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 68.11 %.
Languages[edit | edit source]
Culture[edit | edit source]
Kalinjar Mahotsava: Every Year Banda-District celebrates week long Kalinjar Mahotasava to promote Kalinjar Fort's Heritage & Tourism. Kalinjar Mahotsava includes many Cultural and Social activities.
Notable personalities[edit | edit source]
R K Singh Patel is the sitting member of parliament from Banda loksabha constituency of Uttar Pradesh. Educator, social worker, poet and translator Binda Prasad Khattri hails from Banda.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme". National Institute of Rural Development. http://www.nird.org.in/brgf/doc/brgf_BackgroundNote.pdf. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- ^ a b c d e f "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. http://www.census2011.co.in/district.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- ^ US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2119rank.html. Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Gambia, The 1,797,860 July 2011 est."
- ^ "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/apportionment-pop-text.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "Nebraska 1,826,341"
- ^ a b M. Paul Lewis, ed (2009). "Bagheli: A language of India". Ethnologue: Languages of the World (16th edition ed.). Dallas, Texas: SIL International. http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=bfy. Retrieved 2011-09-28.
- ^ M. Paul Lewis, ed (2009). "English". Ethnologue: Languages of the World (16th edition ed.). Dallas, Texas: SIL International. http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=eng. Retrieved 2011-09-28.
[edit | edit source]
|Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article Banda.|
|Hamirpur district||Fatehpur district|
|Mahoba district||Chitrakoot district|
|Chhatarpur district, Madhya Pradesh||Panna district, Madhya Pradesh||Satna district, Madhya Pradesh|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Banda district. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|