|August 25 in recent years
August 25 is the 237th day of the year (238th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 128 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 325 - Council of Nicea convened by Emperor Constantine.
- 1537 - The Honourable Artillery Company, the oldest surviving regiment in the British Army, and the second most senior, is formed.
- 1580 - Battle of Alcântara. Spain defeats Portugal.
- 1609 - Galileo Galilei demonstrates his first telescope to Venetian lawmakers.
- 1718 - New Orleans is founded.
- 1758 - Seven Years' War: Frederick II of Prussia defeats the Russian army at the Battle of Zorndorf.
- 1768 - James Cook begins his first voyage.
- 1814 - Washington is burned and White House is destroyed by British forces during the War of 1812.
- 1825 - Uruguay declares its independence from Brazil.
- 1830 - The Belgian Revolution begins.
- 1835 - The New York Sun perpetrates the Great Moon Hoax.
- 1894 - Shibasaburo Kitasato discovers the infectious agent of the bubonic plague and publishes his findings in The Lancet.
- 1910 - Yellow Cab is founded.
- 1912 - The Kuomintang, the Chinese nationalist party, is founded.
- 1916 - The United States National Park Service is created.
- 1920 - Polish-Soviet War: Battle of Warsaw, started on August 13, now ends. The Red Army is defeated.
- 1942 - World War II: Battle of Milne Bay, Papua New Guinea.
- 1942 - World War II: Second day of the Battle of the Eastern Solomons. A Japanese naval transport convoy headed towards Guadalcanal is turned-back by Allied air attack, losing one destroyer and one transport sunk, and one light cruiser heavily damaged.
- 1944 - World War II: Paris is liberated by the Allies.
- 1945 - Ten days after World War II ended with Japan announcing its surrender, armed supporters of the Communist Party of China killed Baptist missionary John Birch, regarded by a portion of the American right as the first victim of the Cold War.
- 1950 - President Harry Truman orders the US Army to seize control of the nation's railroads to avert a strike.
- 1981 - Voyager 2 spacecraft makes its closest approach to Saturn
- 1988 - The historical center of Lisbon is destroyed by a fire.
- 1989 - Tadeusz Mazowiecki chosen as the first non-communist Prime Minister in Central and Eastern Europe.
- 1989 - Voyager 2 spacecraft makes its closest approach to Neptune, the outermost planet in the Solar System.
- 1989 - Mayumi Moriyama becomes Japan's first female cabinet secretary.
- 1991 - Belarus declares independence from the Soviet Union
- 1997 - Egon Krenz, the former East German leader, was convicted of a shoot-to-kill Berlin Wall policy.
- 2003 - The Tli Cho land claims agreement is signed between the Dogrib First Nations and the Canadian federal government in Rae-Edzo (now called Behchoko).
- 2003 - Fifty-two people killed in two terrorist bomb blasts in cars in Mumbai, India.
- 2007 43 people killed by bomb blast in Hyderabad, India.
- 1530 - Tsar Ivan IV of Russia (d. 1584)
- 1561 - Philippe van Lansberge, Dutch astronomer (d. 1632)
- 1624 - François de la Chaise, French confessor of Louis XIV of France (d. 1709)
- 1662 - John Leverett the Younger, American educator (d. 1724)
- 1719 - Charles-Amédée-Philippe van Loo, French painter (d. 1795)
- 1724 - George Stubbs, British painter (d. 1806)
- 1741 - Karl Friedrich Bahrdt, German theologian (d. 1792)
- 1744 - Johann Gottfried Herder, German writer (d. 1803)
- 1767 - Antoine Louis Léon de Richebourg de Saint-Just, French revolutionary and writer (d. 1794)
- 1772 - King William I of the Netherlands (d. 1843)
- 1786 - King Ludwig I of Bavaria (d. 1868)
- 1796 - James Lick, American land baron (d. 1876)
- 1802 - Nikolaus Lenau, Austrian poet (d. 1850)
- 1803 - Luís Alves de Lima e Silva, the Duque de Caxias, Brazilian military leader
- 1819 - Allan Pinkerton, American private detective (d. 1884)
- 1836 - Bret Harte, American writer (d. 1902)
- 1841 - Emil Theodor Kocher, Swiss medical researcher; Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1917)
- 1845 - King Ludwig II of Bavaria (d. 1886)
- 1867 - James W. Gerard, American jurist and diplomat (d. 1951)
- 1868 - Nikolaos Levidis, Greek shooter
- 1882 - Seán T. O'Kelly, Irish politician (d. 1966)
- 1893 - Henry Trendley Dean, American dental researcher (d. 1962)
- 1898 - Helmut Hasse, German mathematician (d. 1975)
- 1900 - Hans Adolf Krebs, German physician and biochemist; Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1981)
- 1902 - Stefan Wolpe, German-born composer (d. 1972)
- 1903 - Árpád Élő, Hungarian physicist (d. 1992)
- 1905 - Faustina Kowalska, Polish mystic (d. 1938)
- 1909 - Ruby Keeler, Canadian singer and actress (d. 1993)
- 1909 - Michael Rennie, English actor (d. 1971)
- 1911 - Vo Nguyen Giap (Võ Nguyên Giáp), Vietnamese general and statesman
- 1912 - Erich Honecker, East German politician (d. 1994)
- 1913 - Walt Kelly, American cartoonist (d. 1973)
- 1913 - Bob Crosby, American bandleader (d. 1993)
- 1913 - Don DeFore, American actor (d. 1993)
- 1915 - Walter Trampler, American violist (d. 1997)
- 1916 - Van Johnson, American actor
- 1916 - Frederick Chapman Robbins, American pediatrician and virologist; Nobel Prize laureate (d. 2003)
- 1916 - Saburo Sakai, Japanese aviator (d. 2000)
- 1917 - Mel Ferrer, American actor
- 1918 - Leonard Bernstein, American conductor and composer (d. 1990)
- 1918 - Richard Greene, English actor (d. 1985)
- 1919 - George Wallace, American politician (d. 1998)
- 1921 - Monty Hall, Canadian-born game show host
- 1921 - Brian Moore, Irish-born writer (d. 1999)
- 1921 - Bryce Mackasey, Canadian politician (d. 1999)
- 1925 - Thea Astley, Australian writer, (d. 2004)
- 1927 - Althea Gibson, American tennis player (d. 2003)
- 1928 - Herbert Kroemer, German-born physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1928 - Darrell Johnson, American baseball player (d. 2004)
- 1930 - Sean Connery, Scottish actor
- 1930 - Graham Jarvis, Canadian actor (d. 2003)
- 1931 - Hal Fishman, Los Angeles based local news anchor. (d. 2007)
- 1931 - Regis Philbin, American television host
- 1933 - Wayne Shorter, American jazz musician
- 1933 - Tom Skerritt, American actor
- 1934 - Lise Bacon, French Canadian politician
- 1935 - Charles Wright, American poet
- 1938 - David Canary, American actor
- 1938 - Frederick Forsyth, English author
- 1939 - John Badham, American film director
- 1940 - José Van Dam, Belgian baritone
- 1944 - Anthony Heald, American actor
- 1944 - Conrad Black, newspaper magnate
- 1944 - Jacques Demers, Canadian hockey coach
- 1946 - Rollie Fingers, American baseball player
- 1946 - Charlie Sanders, American football player
- 1949 - Martin Amis, English novelist
- 1949 - John Savage, American actor
- 1949 - Gene Simmons, Israeli-born musician (Kiss)
- 1949 - Fariborz Lachini, Canadian-Iranian composer
- 1951 - Rob Halford, English singer (Judas Priest)
- 1951 - Bill Handel, American radio personality
- 1952 - Geoff Downes, English keyboardist (Buggles, Yes, Asia)
- 1954 - Elvis Costello, English musician
- 1956 - Henri Toivonen, Finnish rally driver
- 1958 - Tim Burton, American film director
- 1960 - Ashley Crow, American actress
- 1961 - Billy Ray Cyrus, American singer and actor
- 1961 - Joanne Whalley, British actress
- 1962 - David Packer, American actor
- 1962 - Vivian Campbell, Irish musician (Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Dio)
- 1964 - Maxim Kontsevich, Russian mathematician
- 1964 - Blair Underwood, American actor
- 1964 - Vassilios Kotronias, Greek chess grandmaster
- 1964 - Marti Noxon, American television writer and producer
- 1965 - Mia Zapata, American singer (The Gits) (d. 1994)
- 1966 - Albert Belle, American Major League Baseball player
- 1966 - Derek Sherinian, American keyboardist
- 1967 - Jeff Tweedy, American singer (Wilco)
- 1968 - Rafet El Roman, Turkish singer and composer
- 1968 - Yuri Mitsui, Japanese actress, model and racing driver
- 1968 - Stuart Murdoch, Scottish musician (Belle & Sebastian)
- 1968 - Rachael Ray, American chef and television personality
- 1968 - Spider One, American musician (Powerman 5000)
- 1969 - Cameron Mathison, Canadian actor
- 1970 - Robert Horry, American basketball player
- 1970 - Jo Dee Messina, American country music singer
- 1970 - Claudia Schiffer, German model
- 1971 - Mike Lockwood, professional wrestler (d. 2003)
- 1972 - Marvin Harrison, American football player
- 1973 - Fatih Akin, Turkish-German film director
- 1974 - Eric Millegan, American actor
- 1974 - Dave Luza, Dutch comedian
- 1974 - Pablo Ozuna, Dominican baseball player
- 1976 - Alexander Skarsgård, Swedish actor
- 1977 - Sophie Cadieux, Quebec actress
- 1977 - Diego Corrales, American boxer (d. 2007)
- 1977 - Jonathan Togo, American actor
- 1978 - Kel Mitchell, American actor
- 1979 - Marlon Harewood, English footballer
- 1981 - Rachel Bilson, American actress
- 1981 - Clare Oliver, Australian cancer activist (d. 2007)
- 1983 - James Righton, Musician (Klaxons)
- 1983 - James Rossiter, British racing driver
- 1987 - Stacey Farber, Canadian actress
- 1987 - Blake Lively, American actress
- 1987 - Justin Upton, American baseball player
- 1987 - James Wesolowski, Australian soccer player
- 1987 - Liu Yifei, Chinese actress and singer
- 1988 - Raymond Quinn, English singer
- 1992 - Miyabi Natsuyaki, Japanese singer
- 1997 - Holly Gibbs, English child actor
- 1998 - China Anne McClain, American actress
- 383 - Gratian, Roman Emperor
- 471 - Gennadius I, Patriarch of Constantinople
- 1192 - Hugh III (b. 1142)
- 1270 - King Louis IX of France
- 1282 - Thomas Cantilupe, English saint
- 1330 - Sir James Douglas, Scottish soldier (b. 1286)
- 1482 - Margaret of Anjou, queen of Henry VI of England (b. 1429)
- 1554 - Thomas Howard, English politician (b. 1473)
- 1632 - Thomas Dekker, English dramatist
- 1650 - Richard Crashaw, English poet
- 1688 - Henry Morgan, Welsh privateer
- 1699 - King Christian V of Denmark (b. 1646)
- 1711 - Edward Villiers, English politician
- 1742 - Carlos Seixas, Portuguese composer (b. 1704)
- 1774 - Niccolò Jommelli, Italian composer (b. 1714)
- 1776 - David Hume, Scottish philosopher and historian (b. 1711)
- 1792 - Jacques Cazotte, French writer (b. 1719)
- 1822 - William Herschel, German-born astronomer (b. 1738)
- 1867 - Michael Faraday, English scientist (b. 1791)
- 1900 - Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher (b. 1844)
- 1900 - Kuroda Kiyotaka, Prime Minister of Japan (b. 1840)
- 1904 - Henri Fantin-Latour, French painter (b. 1836)
- 1908 - Henri Becquerel, French physicist, Nobel laureate (b. 1852)
- 1925 - Franz Conrad von Hötzendorf, Austro-Hungarian field marshal (b. 1852)
- 1938 - Aleksandr Kuprin, Russian writer (b. 1870)
- 1939 - Babe Siebert, Canadian ice hockey player (b. 1904)
- 1942 - George Edward Alexander Windsor, Duke of Kent (b. 1902)
- 1945 - John Birch, American intelligence officer and missionary (b. 1918)
- 1950 - Earl Caddock, professional wrestler (b. 1888)
- 1956 - Alfred Kinsey, American research biologist (b. 1894)
- 1967 - Stanley Bruce, eighth Prime Minister of Australia (b. 1883)
- 1967 - Paul Muni, Polish actor (b. 1895)
- 1967 - George Lincoln Rockwell, American Nazi Party leader (b. 1918)
- 1971 - Ted Lewis, American musician and entertainer (b. 1890)
- 1976 - Eyvind Johnson, Swedish writer, Nobel laureate (b. 1900)
- 1979 - Stan Kenton, American musician and bandleader (b. 1911)
- 1980 - Gower Champion, American dancer, actor, and choreographer (b. 1919)
- 1984 - Truman Capote, American author (b. 1924)
- 1984 - Waite Hoyt, American baseball player (b. 1899)
- 1984 - Viktor Chukarin, Soviet gymnast (b. 1921)
- 1985 - Samantha Smith, American social activist (b. 1972)
- 1990 - Morley Callaghan, Canadian writer (b. 1903)
- 1999 - Rob Fisher, English musician (b. 1956)
- 2000 - Carl Barks, American cartoonist (b. 1901)
- 2000 - Jack Nitzsche, American record producer (b. 1937)
- 2001 - Aaliyah, American singer and actress (b. 1979)
- 2001 - Carl Brewer, Canadian ice hockey player (b. 1938)
- 2001 - Philippe Léotard, French actor and singer (b. 1940)
- 2002 - Dorothy Hewett, Australian writer (b. 1923)
- 2005 - Peter Glotz, German politician (b. 1939)
- 2007 - Benjamin Aaron, American attorney, labor law scholar and civil servant (b. 1915)
- 2007 - Raymond Barre, French politician and Prime Minister (b. 1924)
- 2007 - Ray Jones, English footballer (b. 1988)
Holidays and observances
112 Familypedia people were born on August 25
126 Familypedia people died on August 25
70 Familypedia people were first married on August 25