|April 15 in recent years
April 15 is the 105th day of the year (106th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 260 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 1450 - Battle of Formigny: Toward the end of the Hundred Years' War, the French attack and nearly annihilate English forces, ending English domination in Northern France.
- 1632 - Battle of Rain; Swedes under Gustavus Adolphus defeat the Holy Roman Empire during the Thirty Years' War.
- 1715 - Pocotaligo Massacre triggers the start of the Yamasee War in colonial South Carolina.
- 1738 - Premiere in London of Serse, an Italian opera by George Frideric Handel.
- 1755 - Samuel Johnson's A Dictionary of the English Language published in London.
- 1783 - Preliminary articles of peace ending Revolutionary War ratified.
- 1802 - William Wordsworth and his sister, Dorothy see a "long belt" of daffodils, inspiring the former to pen I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud.
- 1865 - Abraham Lincoln dies after being shot the previous evening by John Wilkes Booth.
- 1865 - Andrew Johnson becomes the 17th President of the United States.
- 1892 - The General Electric Company forms.
- 1906 - The establishing of the Armenian organization, AGBU
- 1912 - The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks after hitting an iceberg in the North Atlantic, causing the deaths of about 1,503 people.
- 1920 - Anarchists Sacco and Vanzetti allegedly murder two security guards while robbing a shoe store.
- 1923 - Insulin first became generally available for use by diabetics.
- 1924 - Rand McNally publishes its first road atlas.
- 1927 - Douglas Fairbanks, Mary Pickford and Norma and Constance Talmadge become the first celebrities to leave their footprints in concrete at Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood.
- 1940 - The Allies start their attack on the Norwegian town of Narvik which was occupied by Nazi Germany.
- 1941 - Belfast Blitz Two-hundred bombers of the German Air Force (Luftwaffe) attacked Belfast, Northern Ireland. Killing one thousand people.
- 1942 - George Cross awarded to "to the island fortress of Malta - its people and defenders" by King George VI.
- 1943 - An Allied bomber attack misses the Minerva automobile factory and hits the Belgian town of Mortsel instead, killing 936 civilians.
- 1945 - The Bergen-Belsen concentration camp is liberated.
- 1947 - Jackie Robinson debuts for the Brooklyn Dodgers baseball team, breaking that sport's color line.
- 1955 - Ray Kroc opens his first franchise of McDonald's restaurant in Des Plaines.
- 1957 - White Rock officially separates from Surrey and is incorporated as a new city.
- 1967 - Scotland defeat rivals England 3-2 at Wembley stadium, causing the scots fans to jokingly claim their side as "Unofficial world Champions", creating the phenomenon of the Unofficial Football World Championships.
- 1984 - British comedian Tommy Cooper suffers a massive heart attack while live on TV.
- 1986 - The United States launch Operation El Dorado Canyon against Libya.
- 1989 - Hillsborough disaster: A human crush occurs at Hillsborough Stadium, a football stadium in Sheffield, resulting in 96 deaths.
- 1989 - Upon Hu Yaobang's death, the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 begin in the People's Republic of China.
- 1992 - National Assembly of Vietnam adopts the 1992 Constitution of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
- 1994 - Representatives of 124 countries and the European Communities sign the Marrakesh Agreements revising the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade and initiating the World Trade Organization (effective January 1 1995).
- 1997 - Fire sweeps through a campsite of Muslims making the Hajj pilgrimage; the official death toll is 343.
- 2002 - An Air China Boeing 767-200, flight CA129 crashes into hillside during heavy rain and fog near Busan, South Korea, killing 128.
- 1452 - Leonardo da Vinci, Italian Renaissance Roman Catholic polymath (d. 1519)
- 1469 - Guru Nanak Dev, Founder of Sikhism (d. 1539)
- 1489 - Sinan, Ottoman architect (d. 1588)
- 1552 - Pietro Cataldi, Italian mathematician (d. 1626)
- 1588 - Claudius Salmasius, French classical scholar (d. 1653)
- 1641 - Robert Sibbald, Scottish physician (d. 1722)
- 1642 - Suleiman II, Ottoman Sultan (d. 1691)
- 1646 - King Christian V of Denmark (d. 1699)
- 1646 - Pierre Poiret, French mystic (d. 1719)
- 1684 - Catherine I of Russia (d. 1727)
- 1688 - Johann Friedrich Fasch, German composer (d. 1758)
- 1707 - Leonhard Euler, Swiss mathematician (d. 1783)
- 1710 - William Cullen, Scottish physician (d. 1790)
- 1721 - Prince William Augustus, English military leader (d. 1765)
- 1741 - Charles Willson Peale, American painter, soldier and naturalist (d. 1827)
- 1772 - Étienne Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire, French naturalist (d. 1844)
- 1793 - Friedrich Georg Wilhelm von Struve, German astronomer (d. 1864)
- 1794 - Jean Pierre Flourens, French physiologist (d. 1867)
- 1800 - James Clark Ross, English explorer (d. 1862)
- 1809 - Hermann Grassmann, German mathematician (d. 1877)
- 1832 - Wilhelm Busch, German poet (d. 1908)
- 1841 - Joseph E. Seagram, Canadian distillery founder (d. 1919)
- 1843 - Henry James, American author (d. 1916)
- 1858 - Émile Durkheim, French sociologist (d. 1917)
- 1861 - Bliss Carman, Canadian poet (d. 1929)
- 1874 - George Harrison Shull, American plant geneticist (d. 1954)
- 1874 - Johannes Stark, German physicist, Nobel laureate (d. 1957)
- 1875 - James J. Jeffries, American heavyweight boxer (d. 1953)
- 1878 - Robert Walser, Swiss writer (d. 1956)
- 1879 - Melville Henry Cane, American lawyer (d. 1980)
- 1883 - Stanley Bruce, eighth Prime Minister of Australia (d. 1967)
- 1885 - Tadeusz Kutrzeba, Polish general (d. 1947)
- 1886 - Nikolay Gumilyov, Russian poet (d. 1921)
- 1888 - Maximilian Kronberger, German poet (d. 1904)
- 1889 - Thomas Hart Benton, American muralist (d. 1975)
- 1889 - A. Philip Randolph, American activist (d. 1979)
- 1892 - Corrie ten Boom, Dutch author and Holocaust survivor (d. 1983)
- 1894 - Bessie Smith, American blues singer (d. 1937)
- 1895 - Clark McConachy, New Zealand billiards player (d. 1980)
- 1896 - Nikolay Nikolayevich Semyonov, Russian chemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1986)
- 1901 - Joe Davis, English snooker player (d. 1978)
- 1902 - Fernando Pessa, Portuguese journalist (d. 2002)
- 1904 - Arshile Gorky, Armenian Artist (d. 1948)
- 1907 - Nikolaas Tinbergen, Dutch ethologist, Nobel laureate (d. 1988)
- 1908 - Eden Ahbez, American songwriter (d. 1995)
- 1912 - Kim Il-sung, President of North Korea (d. 1994)
- 1916 - Alfred S. Bloomingdale, American businessman (d. 1982)
- 1917 - Hans Conried, American actor (d. 1982)
- 1917 - James Kee, American politician (d. 1989)
- 1920 - Richard von Weizsäcker, President of Germany
- 1921 - Georgi Beregovoi, Soviet cosmonaut (d. 1995)
- 1922 - Michael Ansara, Syrian-American actor
- 1922 - Harold Washington, American politician (d. 1987)
- 1924 - Sir Neville Marriner, English conductor
- 1927 - Robert Mills, American physicist (d. 1999)
- 1930 - Vigdís Finnbogadóttir, President of Iceland
- 1933 - Roy Clark, American musician
- 1933 - Elizabeth Montgomery, American actress (d. 1995)
- 1933 - Boris Strugatsky, Russian author
- 1936 - Raymond Poulidor, French cyclist
- 1937 - Bob Luman, American country singer (d. 1978)
- 1938 - Hso Khan Pha, Burmese politician
- 1939 - Claudia Cardinale, Tunisian-born actress
- 1939 - Marty Wilde, British singer
- 1940 - Jeffrey Archer, British author
- 1940 - Willie Davis, American baseball player
- 1940 - Woodie Fryman, American baseball player
- 1940 - Robert Lacroix, French Canadian professor of economics
- 1940 - Robert Walker Jr., American actor
- 1941 - Howard Berman, American politician
- 1942 - Francis X. DiLorenzo, American Catholic prelate
- 1942 - Walt Hazzard, American basketball player
- 1942 - Kenneth Lay, American businessman (d. 2006)
- 1944 - Dzhokhar Dudaev, Chechen leader (d. 1996)
- 1944 - Dave Edmunds, Welsh musician
- 1947 - Lois Chiles, American actress
- 1947 - Cristina Husmark Pehrsson, Swedish politician
- 1947 - Mike Chapman, British songwriter
- 1948 - Michael Kamen, American composer (d. 2003)
- 1949 - Tonio K, American singer
- 1949 - Alla Pugacheva, Russian singer
- 1950 - Josiane Balasko, French actress, director and screenwriter
- 1950 - Amy Wright, American actress
- 1951 - Heloise, American newspaper columnist
- 1952 - Bengt Gingsjö, Swedish swimmer
- 1952 - Kym Gyngell, Australian comedian
- 1952 - Sam McMurray, American actor
- 1954 - Seka, American pornographic actress
- 1955 - Dodi Al-Fayed, Egyptian businessman (d. 1997)
- 1957 - Evelyn Ashford, American athlete
- 1958 - Keith Acton, Canadian ice hockey player and coach
- 1958 - Benjamin Zephaniah, British writer
- 1959 - Fruit Chan, Hong Kong film director
- 1959 - Emma Thompson, English actress
- 1959 - Thomas F. Wilson, American actor
- 1959 - Kevin Lowe, Canadian ice hockey player and general manager
- 1960 - Tony Jones, English snooker player
- 1960 - Pedro Delgado, Spanish cyclist
- 1960 - HRH Prince Philippe, Duke of Brabant, heir to the Belgian throne
- 1962 - Surjit Bindrakhia, Punjabi Bhangra singer
- 1962 - Nawal El Moutawakel, Morrocan hurdler
- 1963 - Bobby Pepper, American journalist
- 1965 - Linda Perry, American musician
- 1966 - Samantha Fox, English singer
- 1967 - Frankie Poullain, British musician (The Darkness)
- 1967 - Dara Torres, American swimmer
- 1967 - Alt, Brazilian comic creator
- 1968 - Ed O'Brien, British musician (Radiohead)
- 1968 - Stacey Williams, American model
- 1969 - Jeromy Burnitz, American baseball player
- 1969 - Milton Bradley, American baseball player
- 1969 - Jimmy Waite, Canadian ice hockey goaltender
- 1970 - Flex Alexander, American actor
- 1971 - Katy Hill, British television presenter
- 1971 - Sarah Jane Hamilton, British pornographic actress
- 1971 - Jason Sehorn, American football player
- 1972 - Lou Romano, American voice actor
- 1972 - Arturo Gatti, Canadian boxer
- 1974 - Mike Quinn, American football player
- 1974 - Danny Pino, American actor
- 1974 - Josh Todd, American musician (Buckcherry)
- 1975 - Paul Dana, American race car driver (d. 2006)
- 1976 - Jason Bonsignore, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1976 - Susan Ward, American actress
- 1977 - Brian Pothier, American ice hockey player
- 1978 - Austin Aries, American wrestler
- 1978 - Tim Corcoran, American baseball player
- 1980 - Natalie Casey, British actress
- 1980 - James Foster, English cricketer
- 1980 - Raúl López, Spanish basketball player
- 1980 - Victor Núñez, Costa Rican footballer
- 1980 - Fränk Schleck, Luxembourgish cyclist
- 1981 - Andrés d'Alessandro, Argentine football player
- 1981 - Seth Wulsin, American artist
- 1982 - Anthony Green, American musician
- 1982 - Seth Rogen, Canadian actor and writer
- 1983 - Ilya Kovalchuk, Russian ice hockey player
- 1983 - Dudu Cearense, Brazilian footballer
- 1984 - Rodney Carney, NBA athlete
- 1984 - Cam Janssen, American ice hockey player
- 1985 - John Danks, American baseball player
- 1985 - Aaron Laffey, American baseball player
- 1986 - Quincy Owusu-Abeyie, Dutch footballer
- 1986 - Thomas Heaton, English footballer
- 1990 - Emma Watson, English actress
- 1992 - Amy Diamond, Swedish singer
- 1992 - Richard Sandrak, Ukrainian bodybuilder, martial artist, dancer and actor
- 1998 - Sharlene san Pedro, Filipino actress
- 1053 - Godwin
- 1220 - Adolf of Altena, Archbishop of Cologne
- 1415 - Manuel Chrysoloras, Greek humanist and grammarian
- 1446 - Filippo Brunelleschi, Italian architect (b. 1377)
- 1610 - Robert Parsons, English Jesuit priest (b. 1546)
- 1621 - John Carver, first governor of Plymouth Colony
- 1632 - George Calvert, Proprietor of the Avalon (Maryland) Colony (b. 1580)
- 1641 - Domenico Zampieri, Italian painter (b. 1581)
- 1652 - Patriarch Joseph, head of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 1659 - Simon Dach, German poet (b. 1605)
- 1704 - Johann van Waveren Hudde, Dutch mathematician (b. 1628)
- 1719 - Françoise d'Aubigné, second wife of Louis XIV of France (b. 1635)
- 1754 - Jacopo Riccati, Italian mathematician (b. 1676)
- 1761 - Archibald Campbell, Scottish politician (b. 1682)
- 1761 - William Oldys, English antiquarian and bibliographer (b. 1696)
- 1764 - Madame de Pompadour, mistress of King Louis XV of France (b. 1721)
- 1764 - Peder Horrebow, Danish astronomer (b. 1679)
- 1765 - Mikhail Lomonosov, Russian scientist and writer (b. 1711)
- 1788 - Giuseppe Bonno, Austrian composer (b. 1711)
- 1793 - Ignacije Szentmartony, Croatian Jesuit missionary and geographer (b. 1718)
- 1804 - Charles Pichegru, French general (strangled in prison) (b. 1761)
- 1854 - Arthur Aikin, English chemist, mineralogist, and writer (b. 1773)
- 1865 - Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States (b. 1809)
- 1888 - Matthew Arnold, English poet (b. 1822)
- 1889 - Father Damien, Belgian missionary (b. 1840)
- 1898 - Kepa Te Rangihiwinui, Maori military leader
- 1912 - Victims of the RMS Titanic
- 1912 - Edward Smith, captain of the RMS Titanic (b. 1850)
- 1927 - Gaston Leroux, French writer (b. 1868)
- 1938 - César Vallejo, Peruvian poet (b. 1892)
- 1942 - Robert Musil, Austrian novelist (b. 1880)
- 1943 - Aristarkh Lentulov, Russian artist (d. 1882)
- 1945 - Hermann Florstedt, Nazi leader (b. 1895)
- 1948 - Radola Gajda, Czech military commander and politician (d. 1892)
- 1949 - Wallace Beery, American actor (b. 1885)
- 1957 - Pedro Infante, Mexican actor and singer (b. 1917)
- 1962 - Clara Blandick, American actress (b. 1881)
- 1963 - Edward "Carji" Greeves, Australian rules footballer (b. 1903)
- 1969 - Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg, Queen of Spain (b. 1887)
- 1970 - Ripper Collins, American baseball player (b. 1904)
- 1971 - Dan Reeves, American football team owner (b. 1912)
- 1974 - Giovanni D'Anzi, Italian songwriter (b. 1906)
- 1975 - Richard Conte, American actor (b. 1910)
- 1980 - Raymond Bailey, American actor (b. 1904)
- 1980 - Jean-Paul Sartre, French philosopher and writer, Nobel laureate (b. 1905)
- 1982 - Arthur Lowe, British actor (b. 1915)
- 1983 - Corrie ten Boom, Dutch author and Holocaust survivor (b. 1892)
- 1984 - Tommy Cooper, Welsh comedy magician (b. 1921)
- 1984 - Alexander Trocchi, Scottish writer (b. 1925)
- 1986 - Jean Genet, French author (b. 1910)
- 1988 - Kenneth Williams, English actor and comedian (b. 1926)
- 1989 - Nesuhi Ertegün, American record executive (b. 1917)
- 1989 - Hu Yaobang, Chinese politician (b. 1915)
- 1990 - Greta Garbo, Swedish actress (b. 1905)
- 1993 - John Tuzo Wilson, Canadian geologist (b. 1908)
- 1993 - Leslie Charteris, Singapore-born author (b. 1907)
- 1994 - John Curry, English figure skater (b. 1949)
- 1995 - Harry Shoulberg, American painter, serigrapher (b. 1903)
- 1998 - Pol Pot, Cambodian dictator (b. 1925)
- 1999 - Harvey Postlethwaite, British engineer and racing car designer (b. 1944)
- 2000 - Edward Gorey, American illustrator (b. 1925)
- 2001 - Joey Ramone, American musician and singer (The Ramones) (b. 1951)
- 2001 - Jack Elway, father of John Elway (b. 1932)
- 2002 - Damon Knight, American author (b. 1922)
- 2002 - Byron "Whizzer" White, American football player and U.S. Supreme Court Justice (b. 1917)
- 2003 - Erin Fleming, Canadian actress (b. 1941)
- 2003 - Reg Bundy, British performer (b. 1941)
- 2004 - Ray Condo, Canadian musician (b. 1950)
- 2005 - John Fred, American singer (b. 1941)
- 2007 - Brant Parker, American cartoonist (b. 1920)
Holidays and observances
138 Familypedia people were born on April 15
140 Familypedia people died on April 15
104 Familypedia people were first married on April 15