BiographyAnsegisel Arnulfing was born 606 to Arnulf of Metz (582-640) and Saint Doda (586-612) and died circa 662 of murdured. He married Saint Begga (615-693) after 639 JL . Ancestors are from Belgium, Germany.
Ansegisel (also Ansgise, Ansegus, or Anchises) was the younger son of Saint Arnulf of Metz (582-640), bishop of Metz. He served King Sigebert III of Austrasia (634–656) as a duke (Latin dux, a military leader) and domesticus. He was killed sometime before 679, slain in a feud by his enemy Gundewin. Through his son Pepin, Ansegisel's descendants would eventually become Frankish kings and rule over the Carolingian Empire.
Marriage and issue
- Pepin of Herstal (635-714), who would later become Mayor of the Palace of Austrasia, forefather of Charles Martel (686-741) and Charlemagne (747-814) and other great Frankish rulers.
- Martin of Herstal
- Clotilda of Heristal (650-699), married King Theuderic III of Neustria
|Offspring of Ansegisel and Saint Begga (615-693)|
|Pepin of Herstal (635-714)||635 Herstal||16 December 714|| Plectrude of Neustria (c640-718)|
|Martin of Laon (c640-)|| |
|Clotilda of Heristal (650-699)||650||699|| Theoderik III (bef650-691)|
|Offspring of Arnulf of Metz and Saint Doda (586-612)|
|Ansegisel (c606-bef679)||606||662|| Saint Begga (615-693)|
- ^ Bouchard, Constance Brittain. Rewriting Saints and Ancestors: Memory and Forgetting in France, 500-1200, University of Pennsylvania Press, 2014, ISBN 9780812290080, p. 115]
- Les ancêtres de Charlemagne, 1989, Christian Settipani
- Ansegisel of Metz - GENI
- wikipedia:en:Ansegisel - Famous People of Wikipedia
- Medieval Sourcebook: Gregory II to Charles Martel, 739
- Medieval Lands Project
Noteworthy descendants include