Ann Mackey Chapman was born 8 October 1839 in Conestoga, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States to Samuel Mackey (1800-1890) and Phebe Wilkinson (1804-1886) and died 24 April 1926 in Manti, Sanpete County, Utah, United States of unspecified causes. She married Welcome Chapman (1805-1893) 5 October 1855 in Salt Endowment House, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah.
In Manti, Chapman practiced plural marriage. He married Ann Mackey on October 5, 1855, and Catherine Stainer on March 5, 1856. He had a large family with each of these women, in addition to the family he had with Amelia. (He also possibly married two women who left him shortly thereafter.) Chapman was a founding owner of the San Pete Coal Company, incorporated by act of the Territorial Legislature on January 8, 1856.
After serving as the leader in Manti for eight years, Brigham Young called Chapman to Salt Lake City to cut stone for the Salt Lake Temple, where Chapman often worked with a son at his side. At one point he worked alongside seven of them. Welcome had previously cut stone for the Nauvoo Temple.
In either late November or early December 1893, at the age of 88, Chapman reportedly rode a horse bareback for three miles to build a chimney on the house of his third wife, Catherine. Chilled through after building the chimney and riding home again through the cold, he developed pneumonia. He died soon after in Fountain Green, Utah on December 9, 1893, and was buried in Manti.
Children of Welcome Chapman and Ann Mackey Edit
- Phoebe Ann Chapman (1856-1932) - m. James Livingston
- Fannie Chapman (1858-1861) - died young
- Samuel Welcome Chapman (1860-1940) - m. Lillias Lyon
- Anthony Chapman (1862-1947) - m. Kate Braithwaite
- Lois Chapman (1864-1939) - m. Walter Williams
- Calantha Chapman (1866-1866) - died young
- John Chapman (1868-1869) - died young
- Harriet Amelia Chapman (1869-1871) - died young
- Henry Chapman (1874-1876)- died young
- Lillie Sarah Chapman (1881-1882) - died young
- Welcome Chapman Family Ancestry
- Biography by John Chapman
- Times and Places of Welcome Chapman - Facebook Page
- Tour Manti Utah - Miracle Pagent and the history of Manti.
1880 US Census Edit
Residence : Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co, Utah
- Welcome Chapman (M-75) / Ocp: Stone Mason
- Ann Chapman (F-39) / Spouse
- Phoebe A Chapman (F-23) / Child
- Samuel W Chapman (M-18) / Child
- Anthony Chapman (M-17) / child
- Louis Chapman (F-15) / child
- Mary Chapman (F-2) / child
- Susan A Chapman (F-73) / Spouse
- Catherine Chapman (F-41) / Spouse
- Eliza Chapman (F-21) / child
- Cyble Chapman (F-19) / child
- Francis Chapman (F-8) / child
- Ellen Chapman (F-6) / child
- Henry Chapman (M-3) / child