- Town Founder of Oceanside, California
Andrew Jackson "A.J." Myers was born 10 April 1840 in LaSalle, LaSalle County, Illinois, United States to John Myers (1785-1845) and Elenor Ellen Hayes (1807-) and died 28 February 1907 Oceanside, San Diego County, California, United States of unspecified causes. He married Sophia C Scott (1845-1906) 8 August 1865 in Bell County, Texas.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Children
- 3 Siblings
- 4 Residences
- 5 Vital Records
- 6 Namesakes
- 7 See Also
- 8 References
- 9 Footnotes (including sources)
Founder of Oceanside, California
Oceanside, California today is the third-largest city in San Diego County, California. The city had a population of 167,086 at the 2010 census. Together with Carlsbad and Vista, it forms a tri-city area. Oceanside is located just south of Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.
In 1882 A. J. Myers settled on the land west of the San Luis Rey Valley near the coast. The following year (1883) he filed and received a patent for 160 acres and hired Cave Couts Jr. to survey and lay out the townsite which became the city of Oceanside, California.
The City of Oceanside incorporated on July 3, 1888. In the early 1880s a railroad line was being built that would connect Los Angeles to San Diego. The trains would travel directly over Myers’ new land grant making his property very valuable.
From its earliest years, Oceanside advertised itself as a “seaside resort.” Visitors wishing to wade in the Pacific Oceanside could use the bathhouse built by A.J., just below the bluff on the beach (located where the current Beach Community Center now stands) which afforded beach goers the opportunity to change into their bathing attire.
By 1886 Oceanside had a population of 350 people and boasted of “nearly sixty houses”. Streets were dusty dirt roads and empty lots were covered with brush. Two churches were established, the Congregational and the Christian, but the saloons outnumbered them two to one.
The city hall as of the early 21st century stands on the former Myers homestead.
Pioneer Cemetery Gravestone
1879 : Great Register of Los Angeles County
- Entry #4975 : Myers, A.J. (b. Illinois) Ocp: Miller, Res: Los Nietos
1880 US Census : Anaheim California
Anaheim Township in Orange County, California. As of 21 June 1880.
- Myers, Andrew J (40) - Farmer (b.Ill)
- Myers, Sophia C (35) - Wife , Keeping house (b. Missouri)
- Myers, James B (10) - Son, at home (b. Texas)
- Myers, Joseph E. (7) - Son, at home (b. Texas)
- Myers Alfred J. (4) - Son, at home (b. Texas)
- Myers, Margaret E (5/12) - Daughter (b. California)
1884 : Great San Diego County Register of Electors
- Entry #1511 : Meyers, Andrew J. : Ocp: Merchant, Res. San Luis Rey.
1894 Great Register of San Diego County
- Entry #5012 : Myers, Andrew J. : Ocp: Liveryman, Res: Oceanside.
1900 US Census : San Luis Rey
- Myers, AndrewJ. (head) (Apr 1840) (Ocp: "Miner of ___ ?")
- Myers, Sophia I. (wife) (Feb 1845)
- Myers, Etta M. (daughter) (Sept 1886) (At School)
- Myers Street - 4th street inland from the coast, just before the railroad tracks, is named in his honor.
- Andrew Myers
- Myers in LaSalle County, Illinois
- Myers in San Diego County, California
- Andrew Jackson Myers at Find A Grave
- Oceanside, California/Notable people