Anantnag is a district in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. It is one of eight districts which make up the Kashmir Valley. The district headquarter is Anantnag. As of 2011 it is the third most populous district of Jammu and Kashmir (out of 22), after Jammu and Srinagar.
Administration[edit | edit source]
Anantnag district comprises Kokernag, Shangus, Anantnag (town), Bijbehara, Doru, Pahalgam and Qazigund (under process) tehsils. The district consists of seven blocks: Breng, Shangus, Achabal, Dachnipora, Qazigund, Khoveripora and Shahabad. Each block consists of a number of panchayats.
Politics[edit | edit source]
Anantnag District has 7 assembly constituencies: Anantnag, Devsar, Verinag, Kokernag, Shangus, Bijbehara and Pahalgam.
Tourism[edit | edit source]
The district consists of many tourist places, viz., Achabal, Kokernag, Verinag, Phalgam. Of these places, Phalgam is the most famous place just 50 km from Anantnag Town.
Demographics[edit | edit source]
According to the 2011 census Anantnag district had a population of 1,070,144, roughly equal to the nation of Cyprus or the US state of Rhode Island. This gives it a ranking of 425th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 375 inhabitants per square kilometre (970 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 37.48 %. Anantnag had a sex ratio of 937 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 64.32% in 2011.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b c d e f g "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. http://www.census2011.co.in/district.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- ^ Statement showing the number of blocks in respect of 22 Districts of Jammu and Kashmir State including newly Created Districts dated 2008-03-13, accessed 2008-08-30
- ^ "ERO's and AERO's". Chief Electoral Officer, Jammu and Kashmir. http://ceojammukashmir.nic.in/ERos_AERos.html. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- ^ US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2119rank.html. Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Cyprus 1,120,489 July 2011 est."
- ^ "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/apportionment-pop-text.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "Rhode Island 1,052,567"
[edit | edit source]
|Srinagar district||Ganderbal district||Kargil district|
|Ramban district||Doda district|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Anantnag district. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|