|Adams County, Iowa|
Adams County Courthouse
Location in the state of Iowa
Iowa's location in the U.S.
|Founded||March 12, 1853|
|Named for||John Adams|
426 sq mi (1,103 km²)
423 sq mi (1,096 km²)
2.1 sq mi (5 km²), 0.5%
10/sq mi (4/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Adams County was established by the state legislature in 1851 and named in honor of the second President of the United States, John Adams, or his son, the sixth President, John Quincy Adams (sources differ). The county was finally organized and separated from Pottawattamie County on March 12, 1853. Its original size was later reduced by the creation of Montgomery and Union counties.
The first county seat was Quincy. In 1872, it was moved to Corning.
- Cass County (northwest)
- Adair County (northeast)
- Union County (east)
- Taylor County (south)
- Montgomery County (west)
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 4,029 people, 1,715 households, and 1,126 families residing in the county. The population density was 9.5 inhabitants per square mile (3.7 /km2). There were 2,010 housing units at an average density of 4.7 per square mile (1.8 /km2). The racial makeup of the county was 98.1% white, 0.6% Asian, 0.5% American Indian, 0.2% black or African American, 0.1% from other races, and 0.5% from two or more races. Those of Hispanic or Latino origin made up 0.9% of the population. In terms of ancestry, 33.6% were German, 15.9% were Irish, 14.7% were English, and 4.9% were American.
Of the 1,715 households, 25.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.2% were married couples living together, 5.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 34.3% were non-families, and 29.0% of all households were made up of individuals. The average household size was 2.28 and the average family size was 2.81. The median age was 46.7 years.
The median income for a household in the county was $40,368 and the median income for a family was $52,782. Males had a median income of $33,505 versus $25,332 for females. The per capita income for the county was $23,549. About 6.0% of families and 12.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.9% of those under age 18 and 18.5% of those age 65 or over.
The population ranking of the following table is based on the 2010 census of Adams County.
† county seat
|Rank||City/Town/etc.||Municipal type||Population (2010 Census)
|2||Lenox (mostly in Taylor County)||City||1,407|
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Adams County, Iowa
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/19/19003.html. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ Adams County
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "County Totals Dataset: Population, Population Change and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". http://www.census.gov/popest/data/counties/totals/2015/CO-EST2015-alldata.html. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- ^ "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/ia190090.txt. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- ^ a b c "DP-1 Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov/bkmk/table/1.0/en/DEC/10_DP/DPDP1/0500000US19003. Retrieved 2015-07-13.
- ^ "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov/bkmk/table/1.0/en/DEC/10_SF1/GCTPH1.CY07/0500000US19003. Retrieved 2015-07-13.
- ^ "DP02 SELECTED SOCIAL CHARACTERISTICS IN THE UNITED STATES – 2006-2010 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov/bkmk/table/1.0/en/ACS/10_5YR/DP02/0500000US19003. Retrieved 2015-07-13.
- ^ "DP03 SELECTED ECONOMIC CHARACTERISTICS – 2006-2010 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov/bkmk/table/1.0/en/ACS/10_5YR/DP03/0500000US19003. Retrieved 2015-07-13.
- ^ http://www.census.gov/2010census/
|Cass County||Adair County|
|Montgomery County||Union County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Adams County, Iowa. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|