|Centuries:||9th century - 10th century - 11th century|
|Decades:|| 960s 970s 980s - 990s - 1000s 1010s 1020s
|Years:||993 994 995 - 996 - 997 998 999|
|Gregorian calendar||996 |
|Ab urbe condita||1749|
|Armenian calendar||445 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-848 – -847|
|Coptic calendar||712 – 713|
|Ethiopian calendar||988 – 989|
|Hebrew calendar||4756 – 4757|
|- Vikram Samvat||1051 – 1052|
|- Shaka Samvat||918 – 919|
|- Kali Yuga||4097 – 4098|
|Iranian calendar||374 – 375|
|Islamic calendar||385 – 386|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 1656|
|Thai solar calendar||1539|
- March/April — Pope John XV dies before being able to crown Otto III, King of Germany as Holy Roman Emperor. Otto resides in Pavia while waiting for the election of the next Pope.
- May 21 — Sixteen year old Otto III is crowned Holy Roman Emperor by his cousin Pope Gregory V.
- October 24 — Hugh Capet, King of France dies and is succeeded by his son Robert II of France.
- November 1 — Emperor Otto III issues a deed to Gottschalk, which is the oldest known document using the name Ostarrîchi (Austria in Old High German).
- Abu Mansoor Nizar al-Aziz Billah, fifth Fatimid Caliph in Egypt dies and is succeeded by his son Al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah.
- Niujie Mosque constructed in Beijing
- May 3 — Pope Gregory V succeeds Pope John XV as the 138th pope. He was twenty-four year old Bruno of Carinthia, grandson of Otto I and first cousin of Otto III. He is the first German Pope.
- Drogo of Mantes, count of Valois and the Vexin
- March/April — Pope John XV
- October 24 — Hugh Capet, King of France (b. 938)
- November 20 — Richard I of Normandy
- Abu Mansoor Nizar al-Aziz Billah, fifth Fatimid Caliph in Egypt
- Li Fang, Chinese scholar and encyclopedist (born 925)
People of the year 996 at Familypedia
4 people were born in 996
0 children were born to the 2 women born in 996
8 people died in 996
360 people lived in 996
Events of the year 996 at Familypedia
4 people were married in 996.
|Robert II of France (972-1031)||Rosella of Italy (945-1003) + Bertha de Bourgogne (967-1016) + Constance of Arles (986-1034)|
|Bertha de Bourgogne (967-1016)||Odo de Blois (?-996) + Robert II, King of France (972-1031)|
|Judith of Brittany (982-1017)||Richard II, Duke of Normandy (963-1027)|
|Richard II, Duke of Normandy (963-1027)||Judith of Brittany (982-1017)+Papia of Envermeu|
There were 0 military battles in 996.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 996. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|