|Centuries:||8th century - 9th century - 10th century|
|Decades:|| 850s 860s 870s - 880s - 890s 900s 910s
|Years:||883 884 885 - 886 - 887 888 889|
|Gregorian calendar||886 |
|Ab urbe condita||1639|
|Armenian calendar||335 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-958 – -957|
|Coptic calendar||602 – 603|
|Ethiopian calendar||878 – 879|
|Hebrew calendar||4646 – 4647|
|- Vikram Samvat||941 – 942|
|- Shaka Samvat||808 – 809|
|- Kali Yuga||3987 – 3988|
|Iranian calendar||264 – 265|
|Islamic calendar||272 – 273|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 1546|
|Thai solar calendar||1429|
Events[edit | edit source]
By Place[edit | edit source]
Europe[edit | edit source]
- The Glagolitic alphabet, devised by Cyril and Methodius, missionaries from Constantinople, is adopted in the Bulgarian Empire.
- Alfred the Great captures London and renames it Lundenburgh. The boundaries between Wessex and the Danelaw are shifted.
- Alfred the Great builds a small harbour called Queenhythe slightly upstream from London Bridge.
- Alfred the Great mints the first halfpenny. Previous halfpennies had been pennies cut in half.
- Earl Aethelred is given control of London by Alfred the Great. Alfred's sister Ethelfleda marries Aethelred.
- Khan Boris I of Bulgaria establishes the Preslav and Ohrid Literary Schools.
- Charles II of France purchases peace with Vikings and Rollo of Normandy then lifts his siege of Paris.
- Odo becomes Count of Anjou on the death of Hugh the Abbot.
Byzantine Empire[edit | edit source]
- Leo VI succeeds his stepfather Basil I as Byzantine emperor and replaces patriarch Photius with his brother Stephen I.
Births[edit | edit source]
Deaths[edit | edit source]
- August 29 — Basil I, Byzantine Emperor
- Ja'far ibn Muhammad Abu Ma'shar al-Balkhi, Persian astronomer
- Heongang, king of Silla (in modern Korea)
- Wulgrin I, Count of Angoulême
- Muhammad I of Córdoba, leader of the Umayyad dynasty
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 886. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 886 at Familypedia
0 people were born in 886
0 children were born to the 0 women born in 886
5 people died in 886
105 people lived in 886
Events of the year 886 at Familypedia
2 people were married in 886.
|Æthelred of Mercia (c855-911)||Æthelflæd (c872-918)|
|Æthelflæd (c872-918)||Æthelred of Mercia (c855-911)|
There were 0 military battles in 886.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.