|Centuries:||6th century · 7th century · 8th century|
|Decades:||610s 620s 630s 640s 650s 660s 670s|
|Years:||639 640 641 642 643 644 645|
|Gregorian calendar||642 |
|Ab urbe condita||1395|
|Armenian calendar||91 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-1202 – -1201|
|Coptic calendar||358 – 359|
|Ethiopian calendar||634 – 635|
|Hebrew calendar||4402 – 4403|
|- Vikram Samvat||697 – 698|
|- Shaka Samvat||564 – 565|
|- Kali Yuga||3743 – 3744|
|Iranian calendar||20 – 21|
|Islamic calendar||21 – 22|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 1302|
|Thai solar calendar||1185|
Events[edit | edit source]
By Place[edit | edit source]
Europe[edit | edit source]
- August 5 — In the Battle of Maserfield, Penda king of Mercia defeats and kills Oswald, king of Bernicia.
- Batbayan succeeds Kubrat as ruler of the Bulgars (approximate date).
Africa[edit | edit source]
Asia[edit | edit source]
- Battle of Nehawand: Arabs conquer Persia.
- Empress Kōgyoku ascends to the throne of Japan.
- Yeon Gaesomun seizes power over the Goguryeo kingdom and places King Bojang on the throne.
- Emperor Taizong of Tang issues a decree throughout China that increased the punishment for men who deliberately inflict injuries upon themselves (most commonly breaking their own legs) in order to avoid military conscription. This decree was an effort to eradicate this practice that had grown as a trend since the time of the rebellion against the Sui Dynasty.
By Topic[edit | edit source]
Arts and Sciences[edit | edit source]
- Earliest surviving dated Arabic papyrus, PERF 558, and earliest known Arabic text with diacritical marks is written.
Religion[edit | edit source]
- November 24 — Pope Theodore I succeeds Pope John IV as the 73rd pope.
- Monastic settlement founded in Hampshire, England, which later becomes Winchester Cathedral.
Births[edit | edit source]
Deaths[edit | edit source]
- August 5 — Oswald, king of Bernicia and Bretwalda
- October 12 — Pope John IV
- Khalid bin Walid, Muslim general, conqueror of Damascus and Syria
- Yeongnyu of Goguryeo
- Yuwen Shiji, Chinese statesman
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 642. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 642 at Familypedia
0 people were born in 642
0 children were born to the 0 women born in 642
1 people died in 642
|Father||Mother||Age at death|
|Manasses of Judah||Hezekiah of Judah||Hephzi-bah|
13 people lived in 642
Events of the year 642 at Familypedia
0 people were married in 642.
There were 0 military battles in 642.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.