|Millennia:||1st millennium BC|
|Centuries:||8th century BC - 7th century BC - 6th century BC|
|Decades:||630s BC 620s BC 610s BC - 600s BC - 590s BC 580s BC 570s BC|
|Years:||609 BC 608 BC 607 BC 606 BC 605 BC|
604 BC 603 BC 602 BC 601 BC 600 BC
|Categories:||Births - Deaths - State leaders - Sovereign states|
Establishments - Disestablishments
Events and trends[edit | edit source]
- 609 BC — King Josiah of Judah dies in the Battle of Megiddo against Pharaoh Necho II of Egypt, who is on his way north to aid the Assyrian state of Ashur-uballit II.
- 609 BC — The Babylonians defeat the Assyrian army of Ashur-uballit II and capture Harran. Ashur-uballit, the last Assyrian king, disappears from history.
- 609 BC — Jehoahaz succeeds his father Josiah as King of Judah, but is quickly deposed by Necho, who installs Jehoahaz's brother Jehoiakim in his place.
- 607 BC — Death of Zhou Kuang Wang, King of the Zhou Dynasty of China.
- 607 BC — King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon captures Jerusalem.
- 606 BC — Zhou Ding Wang becomes King of the Zhou Dynasty of China.
- 605 BC — Battle of Carchemish: Crown Prince Nebuchadrezzar of Babylon defeats the army of Necho II of Egypt, securing the Babylonian conquest of Assyria. The Babylonians pursue through Syria and Palestine.
- 605 BC — Nebuchadrezzar II succeeds his father Nabopolassar as King of Babylon.
- 600 BC — Radiocarbon dating for first circular inhabitation enclosure at Emain Macha.
- 600 BC — Foundation of Armenia.
- 600 BC — Foundation of Capua.
- 600 BC — Foundation of Milan by Celts (approximate date).
- 600 BC — Foundation of Marseille by Phoceans (traditional date).
- 600 BC — Smyrna sacked and destroyed.
- 600 BC — Nebuchadrezzar builds the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.
- c. 600 BC — Orientalizing period of vases ends in Ancient Greece.
- c. 600 BC — Archaic period of sculpture starts in Ancient Greece.
- c. 600 BC — Pitcher (olpe), from Corinth, is made. It is now at The British Museum, London.
- c. 600 BC–580 BC — Temple of Artemis, Korkyra (Corfu) is built.
- c. 600 BC — Pompeii is founded.
- c. 600 BC — Zarathustra's religion becomes popular in Persia.
- c. 600 BC - 200 AD - Mound at Cahokia, near East St. Louis, Illinois is built. It is the largest one.
Significant people[edit | edit source]
- 600 BC — Birth of King Cambyses I of Anshan, head of the Achaemenid dynasty (approximate date)
- c. 600 BC — Thales, Greek philosopher
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 600s BC. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.