|Millennia:||1st millennium BC|
|Centuries:||7th century BC - 6th century BC - 5th century BC|
|Decades:||580s BC 570s BC 560s BC - 550s BC - 540s BC 530s BC 520s BC|
|Years:||559 BC 558 BC 557 BC 556 BC 555 BC|
554 BC 553 BC 552 BC 551 BC 550 BC
|Categories:||Births - Deaths - State leaders - Sovereign states|
Establishments - Disestablishments
Events and trends[edit | edit source]
- Carthage conquers Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica.
- 559 BC — King Cambyses I of Anshan dies and is succeeded by his son Cyrus II the Great.
- 558 BC — Hegesias is removed as Archon of Athens.
- 558 BC — The Chinese state of Jin defeats its rival Qin in battle.
- 556 BC — Pisistratus is exiled from Athens to Euboea.
- 556 BC — Labashi-Marduk succeeds Neriglissar as king of Babylon.
- 556 BC/555 BC — Nabonidus succeeds Labashi-Marduk as king of Babylon.
- c. 550 BC — Colonisation of Greeks ends.
- 550 BC — Abdera is destroyed by the Thracians.
- 550 BC — Cyrus I of Anshan overthrows Astyages of the Medes, establishing the Persian Empire.
- c. 550 BC — Temple of Hera I, Paestum, Italy, is built.
Significant people[edit | edit source]
- 558 BC — Death of Solon, Athenian statesman.
- c. 556 BC — Birth of Simonides of Ceos.
- 555 BC — Death of Stesichorus, Greek lyric poet.
- 551 BC — Birth of Confucius, philosopher (traditional date).
- 550 BC — Birth of Epicharmus, Greek poet (d. 460 BC).
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 550s BC. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.