|Centuries:||0th century - 1st century - 2nd century|
|Decades:|| 10s 20s 30s - 40s - 50s 60s 70s
|Years:||37 38 39 - 40 - 41 42 43|
|Gregorian calendar||40 |
|Ab urbe condita||793|
|Bahá'í calendar||-1804 – -1803|
|Coptic calendar||-244 – -243|
|Ethiopian calendar||32 – 33|
|Hebrew calendar||3800 – 3801|
|- Vikram Samvat||95 – 96|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||3141 – 3142|
|Iranian calendar||582 BP – 581 BP|
|Islamic calendar||600 BH – 599 BH|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 700|
|Thai solar calendar||583|
Events[edit | edit source]
By place[edit | edit source]
Roman Empire[edit | edit source]
- The emperor Caligula is consul without colleague.
- Caligula embarks on a campaign to conquer Britain, and fails miserably.
- Noricum and Mauretania are incorporated into the Roman Empire.
- Caligula transforms the principate into a Hellenistic Autocracy. He distributes honors carelessly, declares himself a god and orders that all the heads of the Greek statues be replaced by his. Lastly, he makes his horse a senator.
Europe[edit | edit source]
Asia[edit | edit source]
- Vardanes I becomes king of Parthia, opposed by his brother Gotarzes II.
- The Vietnamese Trung sisters rebel against the rule of the Chinese Emperor Guangwu of Han.
By topic[edit | edit source]
Arts and sciences[edit | edit source]
- Philo teaches that all men are born free.
Religion[edit | edit source]
- Christianity comes to Egypt as a church is founded in Alexandria. Mark the Evangelist founds the Coptic Orthodox Church as the first pope.
- An early Christian church is erected at Corinth (most probable date).
- The Jewish festival of Pesach (Passover) is adopted by the Christians and renamed Easter.
Births[edit | edit source]
- Pedanius Dioscorides, Greek physician
- Frontinus, Roman general and military author
- Dio Chrysostom, Greek philosopher and historian
- July 13 — Gnaeus Julius Agricola, Roman governor of Britain
- Claudia Octavia, daughter of Claudius and Messalina. (d. 62)
- Empress Ma of the Han Dynasty
Deaths[edit | edit source]
- January — Gnaeus Domitius Ahenobarbus, husband of Agrippina the younger, brother-in-law of Caligula (dropsy)
- Ptolemy of Mauretania (executed by Caligula)
People of the year 40 at Familypedia
0 people were born in 40
0 children were born to the 0 women born in 40
0 people died in 40
2 people lived in 40
|Antenor III der West-Franken (c25-c69)||Clodomir I der West-Franken (c3-)|
|Clodomir I der West-Franken (c3-)||Marcomir der West-Franken (bef14BC-)|
Events of the year 40 at Familypedia
0 people were married in 40.
There were 0 military battles in 40.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 40. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.