Events and Trends[edit | edit source]
Technology[edit | edit source]
- Development and commercial production of electric lighting
- Development and commercial production of gasoline-powered automobile by Karl Benz, Gottlieb Daimler and Maybach
- First commercial production and sales of phonographs and phonograph recordings.
- First steel frame construction of "sky-scrapers"
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers founded 16 February 1880, New York, N.Y.
- Construction begins on the Panama Canal by the French. This is the first attempt to build the Canal.
Science[edit | edit source]
- Heinrich Hertz discovers the photoelectric effect
- Michelson-Morley experiment, which suggested that the speed of light is invariant
- James-Lange theory of emotion
Literature and Arts[edit | edit source]
- Friedrich Nietzsche publishes Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
- Mark Twain publishes Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
- Fyodor Dostoevsky writes The Brothers Karamazov.
- Robert Louis Stevenson publishes Treasure Island and The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
- First edition of Oxford English Dictionary published.
- Arthur Conan Doyle publishes his first Sherlock Holmes tale.
Other[edit | edit source]
- Krakatoa, a volcano in Indonesia, erupts cataclysmically; 36,000 people are killed, the majority by the resulting tsunami
- About 300,000 Swedes emigrate to the United States
- A major step in Seventh-day Adventist's understanding of Righteousness by Faith occurred in 1888.
People[edit | edit source]
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1880s. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.