|Centuries:||18th century - 19th century - 20th century|
|Decades:|| 1850s 1860s 1870s - 1880s - 1890s 1900s 1910s
|Years:||1877 1878 1879 - 1880 - 1881 1882 1883|
|1880 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology - Architecture -|
|Art - Literature (Poetry) - Music - Science|
|Sports - Rail Transport|
|Countries: Australia - Canada - France - Germany - Ireland - Mexico - New Zealand - Norway - South Africa - UK - USA|
|Leaders: State leaders - Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments - Disestablishments|
| Births - Marriages - Deaths
Events of 1880 Edit
January - March Edit
April - June Edit
- April 18 - William Ewart Gladstone defeats Benjamin Disraeli in the United Kingdom general election to become Prime Minister for the second time.
- May 13 - In Menlo Park, Thomas Edison performs the first test of his electric railway.
- June 27 - Helen Keller is born.
- June 29 - France annexes Tahiti.
July - September Edit
- July 1 - First performance of O Canada, the song that would become the national anthem of Canada.
- July 16 - First woman licensed to practice medicine in Canada - Dr. Emily Howard Stowe.
- July 22 - The British recognize Abdur Rahman Khan as emir of Afghanistan.
- August 30 - First complete railroad trip made from Houston to New Orleans on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad.
- September 5 - First successful test of an electric Tram in the world takes place in St. Petersburg, Russia.
- September 16 - Black Bart robbed the stage from Roseburg, Oregon to Yreka, California. This took place in Jackson County, Oregon. It was the farthest north Bart is known to have robbed.
October - December Edit
- October - Terrible winter storm in North America, the "Blizzard of 1880".
- October 6 - The University of Southern California opens its doors to 53 students and 10 faculty.
- October 15 - Mexican soldiers kill Victorio, one of the greatest Apache military strategists.
- October 28 - The first stone was laid for the Clarkson Memorial in Wisbech.
- November - James Garfield defeats Winfield S. Hancock in the U.S. presidential election.
- November 4 - The first cash register was patented by James and John Ritty of Dayton.
- November 11 - Australian bushranger and bank robber Ned Kelly is hung in Melbourne.
- November 22 - Vaudeville actress Lillian Russell makes her debut at Tony Pastor's Theatre in New York City.
- December 20 - Action at Bronkhorstspruit, the first major action of the First Boer War.
- December 30 - The Transvaal becomes a republic and Paul Kruger becomes its first president.
- Discovery of piezoelectricity by Pierre Curie and Jacques Curie.
- Completion of Cologne cathedral.
- Founding of Science by Thomas Edison.
- Cocaine isolated.
- Capuchin catacombs of Palermo are officially closed (there will be some burials afterwards).
- Department of Scientific Temperance Instruction of the Women's Christian Temperance Union established.
there was no blizzard of 1880
|Gregorian calendar|| 1880 |
|Ab urbe condita||2633|
|Armenian calendar|| 1329 |
|Bahá'í calendar||36 – 37|
|Coptic calendar||1596 – 1597|
|Ethiopian calendar||1872 – 1873|
|Hebrew calendar||5640 – 5641|
|- Vikram Samvat||1935 – 1936|
|- Shaka Samvat||1802 – 1803|
|- Kali Yuga||4981 – 4982|
|Iranian calendar||1258 – 1259|
|Islamic calendar||1297 – 1298|
|Japanese calendar|| Meiji
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2540|
|Thai solar calendar||2423|
January - JuneEdit
- January 6 - Tom Mix, American actor (d. 1940)
- January 17 - Mack Sennett, Canadian director and producer (d. 1960)
- January 26 - Douglas MacArthur, American general (d. 1964)
- January 28 - Herbert Strudwick, English cricketer (d. 1970)
- January 29 - W.C. Fields, American actor (d. 1946)
- February 5 - Gabriel Voisin, French aviation pioneer (d. 1973)
- February 8 - Franz Marc, German artist (d. 1916)
- February 12 - George Preca, 1st Maltese Saint (d. 1962)
- February 12 - John L. Lewis, American labor union leader (d. 1969)
- February 21 - Waldemar Bonsels, German writer (d. 1952)
- February 22 - Frigyes Riesz, Hungarian mathematician (d. 1956)
- March 1 - Giles Lytton Strachey, British writer and biographer (d. 1932)
- March 4 - Channing Pollock, American playwright and critic (d. 1946)
- March 10 - Bronco Billy Anderson, American actor (d. 1971)
- March 11 - Harry H. Laughlin, American eugenicist (d. 1943)
- March 22 - Kuniaki Koiso, Prime Minister of Japan (d. 1950)
- March 23 - Heikki Ritavuori, Finnish Minister of Interior (d. 1922)
- March 30 - Sean O'Casey, Irish writer (d. 1964)
- April 13 - Charles Christie, Canadian-born film studio owner (d. 1955)
- April 15 - Max Wertheimer, Father of Gestalt Theory (d. 1943)
- April 18 - Sam Crawford, Baseball Hall of Famer (d. 1968)
- May 6 - Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, German painter (d. 1938)
- May 14 - B.C. Forbes, Scottish-born financial publisher (d. 1954)
- May 21 - Tudor Arghezi, Romanian writer (d. 1967)
- May 25
- May 29 - Oswald Spengler, German philosopher (d. 1936)
- June 3 - Didier Bonvitesse, Belgian painter and sculptor (d. 1945)
- June 6 - W.T. Cosgrave, Irish politician (d. 1965)
- June 17 - Carl Van Vechten, American writer and photographer (d. 1964)
- June 21 - Josiah Stamp, 1st Baron Stamp, Bt, GCB, GBE, FBA, a British civil servant, industrialist, economist, statistician and banker (d. 1941)
- June 27 - Helen Keller, American spokeswoman for the deaf and blind (d. 1968)
July - DecemberEdit
- July 5 - Jan Kubelík, Czech violinist (d. 1940)
- July 21 - Milan Rastislav Štefánik, Slovak General, politician, and astronomer (d. 1919).
- July 24
- August 6 - Hans Moser, Austrian actor (d. 1964)
- August 8 - Earle Page, eleventh Prime Minister of Australia (d. 1961)
- August 10 - Robert L. Thornton, American businessman, philanthropist, and mayor of Dallas, Texas (d. 1964)
- August 22 - George Herriman, American cartoonist (d. 1944)
- August 26 - Guillaume Apollinaire, French poet (d. 1918)
- August 30 - Nikolai Astrup, Norwegian painter (d.1928)
- August 31 - Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands (d. 1962)
- September 12 - H. L. Mencken, American journalist (d. 1956)
- September 14
- September 16 - Alfred Noyes, English poet (d. 1958)
- September 22 - Christabel Pankhurst, English suffragette (d. 1958)
- September 23 - John Boyd Orr, Scottish physician and biologist, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1971)
- September 24 - Sarah Knauss, American woman, notable for living 119 years (d. 1999)
- October 23 - Una O'Connor, Irish actress (d. 1959)
- November 1
- November 2 - John Foulds, British classical music composer (d. 1939)
- November 5 - Richard Oswald, Austrian film director (d. 1963)
- November 6 - Robert Musil, Austrian novelist (d. 1942)
- November 10 - Jacob Epstein, American-born sculptor (d. 1959)
- November 25 - Elsie J. Oxenham, British children's novelist (d. 1960)
- December 1 - Joseph Trumpeldor, Russian Zionist (d. 1920)
- December 4 - Garfield Wood, American motorboat racer (d. 1971)
- December 11 - Frank Tarrant, Australian cricketer (d. 1951)
- December 24 - Johnny Gruelle, American cartoonist and children's book author (d. 1938)
- December 31 - George Marshall, United States Secretary of State, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1959)
- date unknown
- See also 1880 births.
January - JuneEdit
- January 8 - Joshua A. Norton, self-anointed Emperor Norton I of the United States of America (b. 1811)
- January 12 - Ida, author (b. 1805)
- April 23 - Raden Saleh, Indonesian painter (b. 1807)
- March 31 - Henryk Wieniawski, Polish composer (b. 1835)
- May 4 - Edward Clark, Confederate Governor of Texas (b. 1815)
- May 8 - Gustave Flaubert, French novelist (b. 1821)
- June 8 - Maria Alexandrovna, Empress Consort of Czar Alexander II of Russia (b. 1824)
July - DecemberEdit
- July 7 - Lydia Child, American novelist and abolitionist (b. 1802)
- July 17 - Tomasz Chołodecki, Polish political activist (b. 1813)
- July 21 - Hiram Walden, American politician (b. 1800)
- August 15 - Adelaide Neilson, English actress (b. 1847)
- August 17 - Ole Bull, Norwegian violinist (b. 1810)
- October - Victorio, Apache chief
- October 4 - Jacques Offenbach, German-born composer (b. 1819)
- November 11 - Ned Kelly, Australian bush ranger (hanged)
- November 28 - Aires de Ornelas e Vasconcelos, (Portuguese) Archbishop of Goa (b. 1837)
- December 22 - George Eliot, English writer (b. 1819)
- unknown - Károly Alexy, a sculptor.
People of the year 1880 at Familypedia
295 people were born in 1880
87 children were born to the 138 women born in 1880
241 people died in 1880
16589 people lived in 1880
Events of the year 1880 at FamilypediaEdit
245 people were married in 1880.
There were 0 military battles in 1880.
- See also 1880 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1880. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|