|Centuries:||18th century - 19th century - 20th century|
|Decades:|| 1840s 1850s 1860s - 1870s - 1880s 1890s 1900s
|Years:||1875 1876 1877 - 1878 - 1879 1880 1881|
|1878 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology - Architecture -|
|Art - Literature (Poetry) - Music - Science|
|Sports - Rail Transport|
|Countries: Australia - Canada - France - Germany - Ireland - Mexico - New Zealand - Norway - South Africa - UK - USA|
|Leaders: State leaders - Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Births - Marriages - Deaths
Year 1878 (MDCCCLXXVIII) was a common year starting on Tuesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a common year starting on Sunday of the 12-day slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1878
January - March
- January - Cleopatra's Needle arrives in London
- January 9 - Humbert I becomes King of Italy
- January 5 - Battle of Shipka Pass IV
- January 17 - Battle of Plovdiv
- January 23 - Benjamin Disraeli orders British fleet to the Dardanelles
- January 24 - The revolutionary Vera Zasulich shoots at Fyodor Trepov, the Governor of Saint Petersburg.
- January 28 - The Yale News becomes the first daily, college newspaper in the United States.
- January 31 - Turkey agrees to armistice at Adrianople
- February 2 - Greece declares war on Turkey.
- February 8 - British fleet enters Turkish waters and anchors off Istanbul - Russia threatens to occupy Istanbul but does not carry out the threat
- February 18 - The Lincoln County War begins in Lincoln County
- February 19 - The phonograph is patented by Thomas Edison
- February 20 - Pope Leo XIII succeeds Pope Pius IX as the 256th pope.
- February 24 - Anti-Russian demonstrations in Hyde Park
- February 28 - Mississippi State University is created by the Mississippi Legislature (under the name The Agricultural and Mechanical College of the State of Mississippi)
- March 3
- March 24 - The UK frigate Eurydice sinks, killing 300.
- March 25 - Russia rejects British proposal to lay San Stefano treaty before European congress
- March 27 - In anticipation with war with Russia, Disraeli mobilizes the reserves and calls up Indian troops to Malta
April - June
- April 20 - The Stawell Gift is run for the first time.
- May 15 - Tokyo Stock Exchange established
- June 4 - Cyprus Convention: The Ottoman Empire cedes Cyprus to the United Kingdom but retains nominal title.
- June 10 - League of Prizren is established
- June 12 - July 12 - Congress of Berlin about the Ottoman Empire
- June 22 - Adolf Erik Nordenskiöld leaves Karlskrona on a voyage that will make him the first to navigate the Northern Sea Route, a shipping lane from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean along the Siberian coast.
July - September
- July 13 - The Treaty of Berlin makes Serbia, Montenegro and Romania completely independent
- July 26 - In California, the poet and American West outlaw calling himself "Black Bart" makes his last clean getaway when he steals a safe box from a Wells Fargo stagecoach. The empty box will be found later with a taunting poem inside.
- September 3 - Over 640 die when the crowded pleasure boat Princess Alice collides with the Bywell Castle in the River Thames.
- September 20 - The Hindu founded
October - December
- October 1 - Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech) opens as Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College.
- October 14 - The worlds first recorded floodlit football fixture is played at Bramall Lane in Sheffield
- October 17 - John A. Macdonald returns to office as Prime Minister of Canada.
- November 17 - First assassination attempt against Umberto I of Italy.
- November 21 - Second Afghan War commences when the British attack Ali Masjid in the Khyber Pass.
- The Buchan School was founded on the Isle of Man.
- Newton Heath Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Football Club, the team that would become Manchester United, was founded.
- Yellow fever in Mississippi Valley - over 13,000 dead
- US arbitration rejects Argentinean claims to Paraguay's part of Chaco region
- West Bromwich Albion F.C. play their first match.
- Everton Football Club, then known as St Domingo, formed
|Gregorian calendar||1878 |
|Ab urbe condita||2631|
|Armenian calendar||1327 |
|Bahá'í calendar||34 – 35|
|Coptic calendar||1594 – 1595|
|Ethiopian calendar||1870 – 1871|
|Hebrew calendar||5638 – 5639|
|- Vikram Samvat||1933 – 1934|
|- Shaka Samvat||1800 – 1801|
|- Kali Yuga||4979 – 4980|
|Iranian calendar||1256 – 1257|
|Islamic calendar||1294 – 1296|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 2538|
|Thai solar calendar||2421|
January - June
- January 6 - Carl Sandburg, American poet and historian (d. 1967)
- January 12 - Ferenc Molnár, author (d. 1952)
- January 20 - Ruth St. Denis, dancer (d. 1968)
- January 25 - Ernst Alexanderson, Swedish-born television pioneer (d. 1975)
- February 1 - Milan Hodža, Slovak politician, champion of regional integration in Europe (d. 1944)
- February 2 - Alfréd Hajós, Hungarian swimmer and architect (d. 1955)
- February 5 - André Citroën, French automobile manufacturer (d. 1935)
- February 8 - Martin Buber, Austrian philosopher (d. 1965)
- February 14 - Hirota Koki, Prime Minister of Japan (d. 1948)
- February 21 - The Mother (Mirra Alfassa), multi-origined spiritual leader and founder of Auroville in India (d. 1973)
- February 26 - Emmy Destinn, Czech soprano (d. 1930)
- February 28 - Pierre Fatou, French mathematician (d. 1929)
- March 4
- March 16 - Clemens August Graf von Galen, German Catholic cardinal (d. 1946)
- March 22 - Michel Théato, Luxembourg athlete (d. 1919)
- March 31 - Jack Johnson, American boxer (d. 1946)
- April 6 - Erich Mühsam, German author (d. 1934)
- April 24 - Jean Crotti, Swiss artist (d. 1958)
- April 28
- May 3 - Cruz Hernandez, Oldest Living Person (disputed) (d. 2007)
- May 10 - Gustav Stresemann, Chancellor of Germany, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1929)
- May 25 - Bill Robinson, Tap Dancer (d. 1949)
- May 26 - Isadora Duncan, American dancer (d. 1927)
- May 28 - Paul Pelliot, French sinologist (d. 1945)
- June 1 - John Masefield, English poet and novelist (d. 1967)
- June 3 - Barney Oldfield, American automobile racer and pioneer (d. 1946)
- June 5 - Pancho Villa, Mexican revolutionary (d. 1923)
July - December
- July 4 - George M. Cohan, American singer, dancer, composer, actor, and writer (d. 1942)
- July 24 - Edward Plunkett, Baron Dunsany, Irish author (d. 1957)
- August 10 - Alfred Döblin, German writer (d. 1957)
- August 28 - George Whipple, American scientist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1976)
- August 31 - Frank Jarvis, American athlete (d. 1933)
- September 5 - Robert von Lieben, Austrian physicist (d. 1913)
- September 13 - Matilde Moisant, American pilot (d. 1964)
- September 20 - Upton Sinclair, American writer (d. 1968)
- September 22 - Yoshida Shigeru, Prime Minister of Japan (d. 1967)
- September 24 - C. F. Ramuz, Swiss writer (d. 1947)
- October 1 - Othmar Spann, Austrian philosopher and economist (d. 1950)
- October 16 - Maxey Long, American athlete (d. 1959)
- October 24 - H.W. Hughes, American writer and activist (d. January 18, 1950)
- November 1 - Carlos Saavedra Lamas, Argentine politician, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1959)
- November 14 - Leopold Staff, Polish poet (d. 1957)
- November 17 - Grace Abbott, American social worker and activist (d. 1939)
- December 18 - Joseph Stalin, Soviet leader (d. 1953)
- December 25
- December 28 - Nikolai Bryukhanov, Soviet statesman and political figure who served as People's Commissar of Finances (d.1938)
- December 31 - Elizabeth Arden, Canadian-born beautician and cosmetics entrepreneur (d. 1966)
- December 31 - Horacio Quiroga, Argentina's writer was born in Salto, Uruguay (d. 1937)
- See also 1878 births.
January - June
- January 9 - King Victor Emmanuel II of Italy (b. 1820)
- January 18 - Antoine César Becquerel, French scientist (b. 1788)
- February 7 - Pope Pius IX (b. 1792)
- February 11 - Gideon Welles, American politician (b. 1802)
- February 19 - Charles-Francois Daubigny, French painter (b. 1817)
- February 26 - Angelo Secchi, Italian astronomer (b. 1818)
- March 8 - Archduke Franz Karl of Austria (b. 1802)
- April 8 - Henrietta Treffz, soprano, first wife of Johann Strauss II (b. 1818)
- April 12 - William Marcy Tweed, American politician (b. 1823)
- April 25 - Anna Sewell, English author (b. 1820)
- May 28 - John Russell, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (b. 1792)
- June 6
- June 12
July - December
- July 1 - Catherine Winkworth, translator of hymns (b. 1827)
- July 17 - Aleardo Aleardi, Italian poet (b. 1812)
- August 30 - James Geiss, English businessman (b. 1820)
- November 28 - Orson Hyde, American religious leader (b. 1805)
- December 10 - Henry Wells, American businessman (b. 1805)
- December 14 - Princess Alice (b. 1843)
People of the year 1878 at Familypedia
234 people were born in 1878
77 children were born to the 98 women born in 1878
191 people died in 1878
17235 people lived in 1878
Events of the year 1878 at Familypedia
281 people were married in 1878.
There were 0 military battles in 1878.
- See also 1878 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1878. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|