Events and trends[edit | edit source]
- Electromagnetic induction discovered by Michael Faraday
- Evolutionary theorist Charles Darwin's expedition on the HMS Beagle.
- Dutch-speaking farmers known as Voortrekkers emigrate northwards from the Cape Colony
- Croquet invented in Ireland
- Railroad construction begins in earnest in the United States
- Egba refugees fleeing the Yoruba civil wars found the city of Abeokuta in south-west Nigeria
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints founded by Joseph Smith
- The stealthy murderers called "thugs" are eradicated by Willam Sleeman and his team in British India.
- Texas Revolution begins in Texas.
- The First Opium War between the United Kingdom and the Qing Empire of China started in 1839. It would end three years later with the signing of the Treaty of Nanking on 1842-08-29.
World leaders[edit | edit source]
- Emperor Francis II (Austria)
- Emperor Ferdinand I (Austria)
- Chancellor Klemens Wenzel von Metternich (Austria)
- King Louis-Philippe (July Monarchy France)
- Frederick William III of Prussia (Prussia)
- Pope Gregory XVI
- Emperor Nicholas I (Russia)
- King Ferdinand VII (Spain)
- King William IV (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland)
- Queen Victoria (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland)
- Prime Minister Lord Grey (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland)
- Prime Minister Lord Melbourne (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland)
- President Andrew Jackson (United States)
- President Martin Van Buren (United States)
- Shahs of Persia (Qajar dynasty)
- President Sam Houston (Republic of Texas)
- President Mirabeau B. Lamar (Republic of Texas)
See also[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- The Aftermath of the Rebellions — The Rebellions of 1837-1838 : the most dramatic political event in Canadian history
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1830s. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.