|Centuries:||18th century - 19th century - 20th century|
|Decades:|| 1770s 1780s 1790s - 1800s - 1810s 1820s 1830s
|Years:||1803 1804 1805 - 1806 - 1807 1808 1809|
|1806 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology - Architecture -|
|Art - Literature (Poetry) - Music - Science|
|Sports - Rail Transport|
|Countries: Australia - Canada - France - Germany - Ireland - Mexico - New Zealand - Norway - South Africa - UK - USA|
|Leaders: State leaders - Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Births - Marriages - Deaths
Events of 1806[edit | edit source]
January - March[edit | edit source]
- January 8 - Cape Colony becomes a British colony.
- January 10 - Dutch in Cape Town surrender to the British.
- January 19 - The British occupy the Cape of Good Hope.
- February 6 - Royal Navy victory off Santo Domingo - see:Action of 6 February 1806.
- March 23 - After traveling through the Louisiana Purchase and reaching the Pacific Ocean, explorers Lewis and Clark and their "Corps of Discovery" begin their journey home.
- March 29 - Construction authorized of the National Road, becoming the first United States federal highway.
April - June[edit | edit source]
- April 8 - Marriage of Stephanie de Beauharnais, adopted daughter of Napoleon Bonaparte, to Prince Karl Ludwig Friedrich of Baden.
- May 30 - Andrew Jackson kills a man in a duel after the man had accused Jackson's wife of bigamy.
- June 5 - Louis Bonaparte is appointed as king of Holland by his brother emperor Napoleon.
July - September[edit | edit source]
- July 4 - Battle of Maida between Britain and France in Calabria.
- July 10 - Vellore Mutiny: the first instance of a mutiny by the Indian sepoys against the British East India Company.
- July 15 - Pike expedition: Near St. Louis, United States Army Lieutenant Zebulon Pike leads an expedition from Fort Belle Fountaine to explore the west.
- August 6 - Francis II, the last Holy Roman Emperor, abdicates, thus ending the Holy Roman Empire.
- September - Prussia declares war on France, and is joined by Saxony and other minor German states.
- September 23 - The Lewis and Clark Expedition reaches St. Louis, ending a successful exploration of the Louisiana Territory and the Pacific Northwest.
October - December[edit | edit source]
- October 14 - Battle of Jena-Auerstädt - Napoleon defeats the Prussian army of Prince Hohenlohe at Jena while Marshal Davout defeats the main Prussian army under the Duke of Brunswick, who is killed.
- October 19 - Emperor Jacques I of Haiti (Jean-Jacques Dessalines) is assassinated at the Pont-Rouge Haiti.
- October 24 - French forces enter Berlin.
- November - Napoleon declares a Continental Blockade against the British.
- November 15 - Pike expedition: During his second exploratory expedition, Lieutenant Zebulon Pike sees a distant mountain peak while near the Colorado foothills of the Rocky Mountains (it was later named Pikes Peak in his honor).
- November 24 - The last major Prussian field force, under Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher, surrenders to the French near Lübeck. The Frederick William III has by this time fled to Russia.
- November 30 - Napoleon captures Warsaw.
- December 26 - 1806 Battles of Pultusk and Golymin. Battle of Pultusk: Russian forces under General Bennigsen narrowly escape from a direct confrontation with Napoleon, who goes into winter quarters; Battle of Golymin: Russian forces under General Golitsyn fight a successful rearguard action against French forces under Marshall Murat.
- Noah Webster publishes his first American English dictionary.
Ongoing events[edit | edit source]
Births[edit | edit source]
|Gregorian calendar||1806 |
|Ab urbe condita||2559|
|Armenian calendar||1255 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-38 – -37|
|Coptic calendar||1522 – 1523|
|Ethiopian calendar||1798 – 1799|
|Hebrew calendar||5566 – 5567|
|- Vikram Samvat||1861 – 1862|
|- Shaka Samvat||1728 – 1729|
|- Kali Yuga||4907 – 4908|
|Iranian calendar||1184 – 1185|
|Islamic calendar||1220 – 1221|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 2466|
|Thai solar calendar||2349|
- January 27 - Juan Crisóstomo Arriaga, Spanish composer (d. 1826)
- February 22 - Józef Kremer, Polish messianic philosopher (d. 1875)
- March 6 - Elizabeth Barrett Browning, English poet (d. 1861)
- March 12 - Jane Pierce, First Lady of the United States (d. 1863)
- March 21 - Benito Juárez, Mexican statesman and folk hero (d. 1872)
- April 3 - Ivan Kireevsky, Russian literary critic and philosopher (d. 1856)
- April 6 - Friedrich Wilhelm Ritschl, German scholar (d. 1876)
- April 9 - Isambard Kingdom Brunel, British engineer (d. 1859)
- May 20 - John Stuart Mill, British philosopher (d. 1873)
- June 12 - John Augustus Roebling, German-born architect (d. 1869)
- June 28 - Napoleon Coste, French guitarist and composer (d. 1883)
- July 5 - James Dawson, Aboriginal Guardian (d. 1900)
- October 3 - Oliver Cowdery, American religious leader (d. 1850)
- December 11 - Otto Wilhelm Hermann von Abich, German geologist (d. 1886)
- See also Born in 1806.
Deaths[edit | edit source]
- January 23 - William Pitt the Younger, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (b. 1759)
- February 2 - Rétif de la Bretonne, French writer (b. 1734)
- February 19 - Elizabeth Carter, English writer (b. 1717)
- February 20 - Lachlan McIntosh, Scottish-born American military and political leader (b. 1725)
- March 23 - George Pinto English composer (b. 1785)
- April 9 - William V of Orange (b. 1748)
- April 22 - Pierre-Charles Villeneuve, French admiral (stabbed) (b. 1763)
- May 24 - John Campbell, British field marshal (b. 1723)
- June 23 - Mathurin Jacques Brisson, French naturalist (b. 1723)
- July 10 - George Stubbs, English painter (b. 1724)
- July 11 - James Smith, American signer of the United States Declaration of Independence
- August 10 - Michael Haydn, Austrian composer (b. 1737)
- August 22 - Jean-Honoré Fragonard, French painter (b. 1742)
- August 23 - Charles-Augustin de Coulomb, French physicist (b. 1736)
- September 9 - William Paterson, Signer of the United States Constitution, Governor of New Jersey (b. 1745)
- October 9 - Benjamin Banneker, American astronomer and surveyor (b. 1731)
- October 10 - Louis Ferdinand of Prussia, German prince (b. 1772)
- October 25 - Henry Knox, Secretary of State under George Washington
- November 23 - Roger Newdigate, British politician (b. 1719)
- December 22 - William Vernon, American merchant (b. 1719)
- date unknown - Mungo Park, Scottish explorer (b. 1771)
People of the year 1806 at Familypedia
229 people were born in 1806
136 children were born to the 96 women born in 1806
96 people died in 1806
8798 people lived in 1806
Events of the year 1806 at Familypedia
108 people were married in 1806.
There were 0 military battles in 1806.
- See also Died in 1806.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1806. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.