Events and trends[edit | edit source]
Technology[edit | edit source]
- Invention of the Jacquard loom in 1801.
- Ultraviolet radiation is discovered by Johann Wilhelm Ritter.
- Flag semaphore is gradually adopted by various navies of the world.
- Morphine is isolated from opium for the first time in 1804.
- Nicolas François Appert develops a method to preserve food by means of canning.
Astronomy[edit | edit source]
- The first known asteroids are discovered in this decade:
War, peace and politics[edit | edit source]
- The First Barbary War (1801–1805) is fought between the United States and the Barbary States of North Africa.
- The Kingdom of Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland merge into the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland in 1801.
- In 1803, the US acquired the Louisiana Territories from France.
- The Second Anglo-Maratha War (1803-1805) is fought between the Maratha Peshwa on one side and minor chieftains of the Maratha Confederacy Sindhia,Bhonsle and Holkar on the other resulting in a crushing defeat of the rebel chieftains and the breakup of the Maratha confederacy.
- Haiti gains independence from France on 1804-01-01, becoming the first black republic.
- The Fulani War (1804–1810) is fought in present day Nigeria and Cameroon.
- The First Serbian Uprising (1804−1813) marks the first time in 300 years Serbia perceives itself an independent state.
- Beginning of the Napoleonic Wars (1805–1815).
- Beginning of the Russo-Turkish War between Russia and the Ottoman Empire.
Other[edit | edit source]
World leaders[edit | edit source]
- Emperor Napoleon I (First French Empire)
- Emperor Francis II (Holy Roman Empire)
- Frederick William III of Prussia (Prussia)
- Pope Pius VII
- Tsar Paul I (Russia)
- Tsar Alexander I (Russia)
- King Charles IV (Spain)
- King George III, (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland)
- President John Adams (United States)
- President Thomas Jefferson (United States)
- Fath Ali Shah of Qajar dynasty (Persia)
- Jiaqing Emperor of China (Qing Dynasty)
- Mughal Empire
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1800s. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.