|Centuries:||17th century - 18th century - 19th century|
|Decades:|| 1750s 1760s 1770s - 1780s - 1790s 1800s 1810s
|Years:||1781 1782 1783 - 1784 - 1785 1786 1787|
|1784 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature (Poetry) – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Marriages|
Events of 1784[edit | edit source]
January - June[edit | edit source]
- January 14 - The US Congress ratifies the Treaty of Paris with Great Britain to end the American Revolutionary War.
July - December[edit | edit source]
- August 10 - Jeanne de la Motte fools Cardinal de Rohan: Queen's Necklace Affair begins.
- August 16 - Britain creates the colony of New Brunswick.
- September 22 - Russia establishes a colony at Kodiak.
- November 26 - Roman Catholic Apostolic Prefecture of the United States was established.
- December 25 - Methodist Episcopal Church in USA officially formed at so-called "Christmas Conference" led by Thomas Coke and Francis Asbury.
Undated[edit | edit source]
- King Carlos III of the Spanish Empire authorizes land grants in Alta California.
- The North Carolina General Assembly incorporates the town of Morgansborough, named for Daniel Morgan. The town is designated as the county seat for Burke County, North Carolina and is subsequently renamed "Morgantown" and later shortened to become Morganton.
- The North Carolina General Assembly changes the name of Kingston, North Carolina, originally named for King George III of Great Britain, to Kinston.
- The Japanese famine continues as 300,000 die of starvation.
- Benjamin Franklin tries in vain to persuade the French to alter their clocks in winter to take advantage of the daylight.
- Benjamin Franklin invents bifocal spectacles.
- Antoine Lavoisier pioneers quantitative chemistry.
- Britain receives its first bales of imported American cotton.
- Emperor Josef II suspends the Hungarian Constitution because of a Revolution in Transylvania.
- Huge locust swarm hits South Africa.
- Cholesterol was isolated.
- Carl Friedrich Gauss pioneers the field of summation with the formula summing 1:n as (n(n+1))/2, at the age of seven.
Births[edit | edit source]
|Gregorian calendar||1784 |
|Ab urbe condita||2537|
|Armenian calendar||1233 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-60 – -59|
|Coptic calendar||1500 – 1501|
|Ethiopian calendar||1776 – 1777|
|Hebrew calendar||5544 – 5545|
|- Vikram Samvat||1839 – 1840|
|- Shaka Samvat||1706 – 1707|
|- Kali Yuga||4885 – 4886|
|Iranian calendar||1162 – 1163|
|Islamic calendar||1198 – 1199|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 2444|
|Thai solar calendar||2327|
- January 17 - Philippe Antoine d’Ornano, Marshal of France (d. 1863)
- January 20 - Nancy Hanks, mother of Abraham Lincoln and Sarah Lincoln (d.1818)
- January 28 - George Hamilton Gordon, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (d. 1860)
- March 13 - Jean Moufot, French philosopher and mathematician (d. 1842)
- April 5 - Louis Spohr, German violinist and composer (d. 1859)
- April 13 - Friedrich Graf von Wrangel, Prussian field marshal (d. 1877)
- July 22 - Friedrich Bessel, German mathematician and astronomer (d. 1846)
- July 27 - Denis Davydov, Russian general and poet (d. 1839)
- October 13 - King Ferdinand VII of Spain (d. 1833)
- October 15 - Thomas Robert Bugeaud, Marshal of France and duke of Isly (d. 1849)
- October 19 - John McLoughlin, Canadian fur trader (d. 1857)
- October 20 - Henry Temple, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (d. 1865)
- October - Sarah Biffen, English painter (d. 1850)
- November 24 - Zachary Taylor, 12th President of the United States (d. 1850)
Unknown dates[edit | edit source]
- See also 1784 births.
Deaths[edit | edit source]
- April 26 - Nano Nagle, Irish convent founder (b. 1718)
- May 12 - Abraham Trembley, Swiss naturalist (b. 1710)
- June 13 - Henry Middleton, American president of the Continental Congress (b. 1717)
- June 26 - Caesar Rodney, American lawyer and signer of the Declaration of Independence (d. 1728)
- July 1 - Wilhelm Friedemann Bach, German composer (b. 1710)
- July 31 - Denis Diderot, French philosopher and encyclopedist (b. 1713)
- August 4 - Giovanni Battista Martini, Italian musician (b. 1706)
- August 10 - Allan Ramsay, Scottish painter (b. 1713)
- August 14 - Nathaniel Hone, Irish-born painter (b. 1718)
- August 28 - Junípero Serra, Spanish Franciscan missionary (b. 1713)
- September 4 - César-François Cassini de Thury, French astronomer (b. 1714)
- September 8 - Ann Lee, American religious leader (b. 1736)
- December 4 - Wiseman Claget, English classical scholar (b. 1721)
- December 13 - Samuel Johnson, English writer and lexicographer (b. 1709)
- December 25 - Yosa Buson, Japanese poet and painter (b. 1716)
- December 26 - Seth Warner, American revolutionary leader (b. 1743)
Unknown dates[edit | edit source]
People of the year 1784 at Familypedia
131 people were born in 1784
84 children were born to the 47 women born in 1784
77 people died in 1784
6908 people lived in 1784
Events of the year 1784 at Familypedia
105 people were married in 1784.
There were 0 military battles in 1784.
: See also 1784 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1784. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.