|Centuries:||16th century - 17th century - 18th century|
|Decades:|| 1670s 1680s 1690s - 1700s - 1710s 1720s 1730s
|Years:||1697 1698 1699 - 1700 - 1701 1702 1703|
|1700 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature (Poetry) – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Marriages|
Year 1700 (MDCC) was an exceptional common year starting on Friday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar, but a leap year starting on Monday  of the Julian calendar. The Gregorian calendar was 10-day faster until February 28 [O.S. February 18, 1700] 1700, but 11-day faster since March 1 [O.S. February 19, 1700] 1700, than the Julian calendar.
Events of 1700
January - June
- January 1
- January 26 - The Cascadia Earthquake, one of the largest earthquakes on record, ruptures the Cascadia subduction zone offshore from Vancouver Island to northern California, creating a tsunami logged in Japan and oral traditions of the American First Nations.
- February 27 - The island of New Britain is discovered.
- March 11 [O.S. February 29] 1700 (Swedish calendar March 1) - The Swedish calendar is adopted. 1700 of this calendar is a common year starting on Monday.
- April - Fire destroys many buildings in Gondar, the capital of Ethiopia, including two in the palace complex.
- May 5 - Within a few days of John Dryden's death (1 May O.S.), his last written work ("The Secular Masque") is performed as part of Vanbrugh's version of The Pilgrim.
- May - In Rhode Island (American colony), Walter Clarke, former governor 1679-1686, becomes governor again for 14 more years.
July - December
- November 20 - Great Northern War: Battle of Narva - King Charles XII of Sweden defeats the army of Czar Peter the Great at Narva.
- November 23 - Pope Clement XI succeeds Pope Innocent XII as the 243rd pope.
- December 28 - Laurence Hyde is appointed Lord Lieutenant of Ireland.
- Vietnamese gains control of the entire Indochina peninsula.
- The Great Northern War begins with Russia, Denmark and Saxony/Poland making a coordinated attack on Sweden (to 1721).
- Control of Spain passes from the Habsburgs to the Bourbons.
- Mission San Xavier del Bac is founded in New Spain near Tucson, as a Spanish Roman Catholic mission.
- A fire destroys the larger part of Edinburgh, Scotland.
- An inventory made for the Medici family of Florence documents the first piano, invented by their instrument keeper Bartolommeo Cristofori.
- Lions became extinct in Libya around this date.
|Gregorian calendar||1700 |
|Ab urbe condita||2453|
|Armenian calendar||1149 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-144 – -143|
|Coptic calendar||1416 – 1417|
|Ethiopian calendar||1692 – 1693|
|Hebrew calendar||5460 – 5461|
|- Vikram Samvat||1755 – 1756|
|- Shaka Samvat||1622 – 1623|
|- Kali Yuga||4801 – 4802|
|Iranian calendar||1078 – 1079|
|Islamic calendar||1111 – 1112|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 2360|
|Thai solar calendar||2243|
- January 29 - Konstancja Czartoryska, Polish noblewoman (died 1759)
- February 2 - Johann Christoph Gottsched, German writer (died 1766)
- February 9 - Daniel Bernoulli, Dutch mathematician (died 1782)
- March 13 - Michel Blavet, French flutist (died 1768)
- May 7 - Gerard van Swieten, Dutch-born physician (died 1772)
- May 12 - Luigi Vanvitelli, Italian architect (died 1773)
- May 19 - José de Escandón, Spanish colonial governor (died 1770)
- May 26 - Nicolaus Ludwig Zinzendorf, German religious and social reformer (died 1760)
- August 13 - Heinrich, German statesman (died 1763)
- August 17 - Clemens August of Bavaria (died 1761)
- September 11 - James Thomson, Scottish poet (died 1748)
- September 30 - Stanislaw Konarski, Polish writer (died 1773)
- October 10 - Lambert-Sigisbert Adam, French sculptor (died 1759)
- November 19 - Jean-Antoine Nollet, French abbot and physicist (died 1770)
- November 28 - Nathaniel Bliss, English astronomer (died 1764)
- December 25 - Leopold II of Anhalt-Dessau, Prussian general (died 1751)
- date unknown
- See also 1700 births.
- January 7 - Raffaello Fabretti, Italian antiquary (born 1618)
- January 21 - Henry Somerset (born 1629)
- February 12 - Aleksei Shein, Russian commander and statesman (born 1662)
- May - Louis Jolliet, Canadian explorer (born 1645)
- May 12 - John Dryden, English writer (born 1631)
- May 15 - John Hale, American witch hunter (born 1636)
- May 23 - Jens Juel, Danish diplomat (born 1631)
- July - John Lowther, English politician (born 1655)
- July 29 - William (born 1689)
- September 15 - André Le Nôtre, French landscape gardener (born 1613)
- September 27 - Pope Innocent XII (born 1615)
- October 16 - Patriarch Adrian, Russian Orthodox Church leader (born 1627)
- November 1 - Charles II of Spain (born 1661)
- November 25 - Stephanus Van Cortlandt, first native born mayor of New York (born 1643)
- date unknown
- See also 1700 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1700. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1700 at Familypedia
155 people were born in 1700
92 children were born to the 65 women born in 1700
87 people died in 1700
5287 people lived in 1700
|Cornelis Robberts (1645-1708)||Jan Robberts|
|Anna Hendriks (1663-bef1753)||Heinrich Jansz (?-?)||Engel Pieters (?-?)|
|Anna Pieters (c1690-aft1718)||Pieter (bef1690-)|
|Anna Jans (1645-1705)||Jan|
|Anna Cornelis (c1675-1728)||Cornelis Robberts (1645-1708)||Perijntien|
|Dieuwertje Ariens (c1680-1720)||Arien (bef1680-)|
|Divera Doedes (1681-aft1723)||Donatus Jacobus (1644-aft1700)||Grietje|
|Dorothea Gerardi (c1670-1721)||Gerard|
|Eth Louwes (1657-1727)||Louw Dirksz (bef1657-)||Aeff Dircs (bef1657-)|
|Maartje Cornelis (c1680-aft1717)||Cornelis|
|Marij Pieters (1674-1743)||Pieter Jansz (c1645-1700)||Geert Jans (c1650-1693)|
|Neeltje Dircks (c1645-1714)||Dirck (bef1645-)|
|Neeltje Claassen (c1780-1743)||Claas|
|Niesje Jans (1699-1764)||Jan Bartsz (1666-1728)||Lijsebeth Jans (-)|
|Pieter Olfertsz (1693-1730)||Olfert|
|... further results|
Events of the year 1700 at Familypedia
106 people were married in 1700.
There were 0 military battles in 1700.