|Centuries:||15th century - 16th century - 17th century|
|Decades:|| 1540s 1550s 1560s - 1570s - 1580s 1590s 1600s
|Years:||1575 1576 1577 - 1578 - 1579 1580 1581|
|1578 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture – Art –|
|Literature – Music – Poetry – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Marriages|
Events of 1578 Edit
- January 31 - Battle of Gembloux: Spanish forces under Don John of Austria and Alexander Farnese defeat the Dutch. Alexander Farnese begins to recover control of the French-speaking Southern Netherlands.
- April 27 - Duel of the Mignons claims the lives of two favorites of Henry III of France and two favourites of Henry I.
- May 31 - Martin Frobisher sails from Harwich, England to Frobisher Bay, Canada, eventually to mine fool's gold, used to pave streets in London.
- August 4 - Battle of Al Kasr al Kebir - The Moors defeat the Portuguese. King Sebastian I of Portugal is defeated and killed in North Africa, leaving his elderly uncle, Cardinal Henry, as his heir. This initiates a succession crisis in Portugal.
- October 1 - Alessandro Farnese succeeds Don John as Spanish Governor-General of the Netherlands.
- Martin Frobisher held the first celebration of Thanksgiving by Europeans in North America at Newfoundland by the Frobisher Expedition.
- Tibet - Sonam Gyrso receives from prince Atlan Khan the title of "Talaï" and becomes the third Dalai Lama.
- Battle of Wenden: The Russians are defeated by the Swedes, who proceed to take Polotsk.
- The Ottoman Empire conquers Abkhazia.
- Sixth and so far the last outbreak of the sweating sickness in England.
- Emperor Sarsa Dengel of Ethiopia kills Bahr negus Yeshaq, finally ending his rebellion.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1578 |
|Ab urbe condita||2331|
|Armenian calendar|| 1027 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-266 – -265|
|Coptic calendar||1294 – 1295|
|Ethiopian calendar||1570 – 1571|
|Hebrew calendar||5338 – 5339|
|- Vikram Samvat||1633 – 1634|
|- Shaka Samvat||1500 – 1501|
|- Kali Yuga||4679 – 4680|
|Iranian calendar||956 – 957|
|Islamic calendar||985 – 986|
|Japanese calendar|| Tenshō
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2238|
|Thai solar calendar||2121|
- March 2 - George Sandys, English traveller (died 1644)
- April 1 - William Harvey, English physician (died 1657)
- April 14 - King Philip III of Spain (died 1621)
- May 16 - Everard Digby, English conspirator (died 1606)
- July 9 - Ferdinand II (died 1637)
- August 5 - Charles de Luynes, first duke of Chaulnes (died 1621)
- August 17 - Francesco Albani, Italian painter (died 1660)
- November 1 - Dmitry Pozharsky, Russian prince (died 1642)
- December 2 - Agostino Agazzari, Italian composer (died 1640)
- date unknown
- Giambattista Andreini, Italian actor and playwright (died 1650)
- Catharina Belgica of Nassau, regent of Hanau-Münzenberg (died 1648)
- Yamada Arinaga, Japanese retainer of Shimazu clan (died 1668)
- Benedetto Castelli, Italian scientist (died 1643)
- Thomas Coventry, English lawyer (died 1640)
- Robert Cushman, Plymouth Colony settler (died 1625)
- Iwasa Matabei, Japanese painter (died 1650)
- Samuel Jordan, American colonial legislator (died 1623)
- Grzegorz IV Radziwiłł, Polish magnate (died 1613)
- François Ravaillac, killer of Henry IV of France (died 1610)
- Ambrose Rokewood, English Gunpowder Plot conspirator (died 1606)
- Francis Manners (died 1632)
- Horio Tadauji, Japanese daimyo (died 1604)
- See also 1578 births.
- February 5 - Giambattista Moroni, Italian painter (born 1510)
- March 7 - Margaret Douglas, Countess of Lennox (born 1515)
- March 29 - Arthur Champernowne, English admiral (born 1524)
- March 29 - Louis I, French cardinal (born 1527)
- April 14 - James Hepburn, consort of Mary I of Scotland (born 1535)
- April 19 - Uesugi Kenshin, Japanese samurai and warlord (born 1530)
- June 20 - Thomas Doughty, English explorer (executed)
- August 4
- August 11 - Pedro Nunes, Portuguese mathematician (born 1502)
- October 1 - Don John of Austria, military leader (born 1547)
- date unknown
- Jane Lumley, English translator (born 1537)
- Giulio Clovio, Italian painter (born 1498)
- Cornelis Cort, Dutch engraver (born 1536)
- Nicholas Heath, Archbishop of York and Lord Chancellor (born 1501)
- Amago Katsuhisa, Japanese nobleman (born 1553)
- Ikeda Katsumasa, Japanese military commander (born 1539)
- Juraj Julije Klovic, Dalmatian painter (born 1498)
- Pierre Lescot, French architect (born 1510)
- See also 1578 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1578. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1578 at Familypedia
33 people were born in 1578
18 children were born to the 18 women born in 1578
22 people died in 1578
1367 people lived in 1578
Events of the year 1578 at FamilypediaEdit
23 people were married in 1578.
There were 1 military battles in 1578.
|Battle of Alcácer Quibir||4 August 1578 JL|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.