|Centuries:||14th century - 15th century - 16th century|
|Decades:|| 1460s 1470s 1480s - 1490s - 1500s 1510s 1520s
|Years:||1496 1497 1498 - 1499 - 1500 1501 1502|
|1499 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
Events of 1499[edit | edit source]
- January 8 - Louis XII of France marries Anne of Brittany due to law set by his predecessor, Charles VIII
- July 22 - Battle of Dornach - The Swiss decisively defeat the Imperial army of Emperor Maximilian I.
- July 28 - First Battle of Lepanto - The Turkish navy wins a decisive victory over the Venetians.
- September 18 - Vasco da Gama arrives to Lisbon returning from India and he is received by King Manuel of Portugal.
- September 22 - Treaty of Basel. Maximilian is forced to grant the Swiss de facto independence.
- 5 November - Publication of the Catholicon in Treguier (Brittany). This Breton-French-Latin dicionary had been written in 1464 by Jehan Lagadeuc. It's the first Breton dicionary as well as the first French dicionary in world History.
- November 23 - Pretender to the throne Perkin Warbeck is hanged for reportedly attempting to escape from the Tower of London. In 1497 he invaded England claiming to be the lost son of King Edward IV of England.
- November 28 - Edward is executed for reportedly attempting to escape from the Tower of London. He was the last male member of the House of York.
Undated[edit | edit source]
- The French under Louis XII seize Milan, driving out Duke Ludovico Sforza.
- Lake Maracaibo is discovered.
|Gregorian calendar||1499 |
|Ab urbe condita||2252|
|Armenian calendar||948 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-345 – -344|
|Coptic calendar||1215 – 1216|
|Ethiopian calendar||1491 – 1492|
|Hebrew calendar||5259 – 5260|
|- Vikram Samvat||1554 – 1555|
|- Shaka Samvat||1421 – 1422|
|- Kali Yuga||4600 – 4601|
|Iranian calendar||877 – 878|
|Islamic calendar||904 – 905|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 2159|
|Thai solar calendar||2042|
Births[edit | edit source]
- January 29 - Katharina von Bora is born
- February 10 - Thomas Platter, Swiss humanist (died 1582)
- March 31 - Pope Pius IV (died 1565)
- September 3 - Diane de Poitiers, mistress of Henry II of France (died 1566)
- October 14 - Claude of France, queen of Louis XII of France (died 1524)
- date unknown
- Hans Asper, Swiss painter (died 1571)
- Michael Coxcie, Flemish painter (died 1592)
- Cesare Hercolani, Italian military leader (died 1534)
- Jan Łaski, Polish Protestant reformer (died 1560)
- Laurentius Petri, Archbishop of Uppsala (died 1573)
- Giulio Romano, Italian painter (died 1546)
- Bernardino de Sahagún, Franciscan missionary (died 1590)
- Niccolo Fontana Tartaglia, Italian mathematician (died 1557)
Deaths[edit | edit source]
- January 9 - John Cicero (born 1455)
- August 29 - Alessio Baldovinetti, Florentine painter (born 1427)
- October 1 - Marsilio Ficino, Italian philosopher (born 1433)
- November 23 - Perkin Warbeck, Flemish imposter (born c1474)
- November 28 - Edward, last male member of the English House of York (born 1475)
- date unknown
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1499. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1499 at Familypedia
12 people were born in 1499
10 children were born to the 5 women born in 1499
15 people died in 1499
904 people lived in 1499
Events of the year 1499 at Familypedia
7 people were married in 1499.
There were 0 military battles in 1499.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.