1337 1338 1339 - 1340 - 1341 1342 1343
| Decades: |
1310s 1320s 1330s - 1340s - 1350s 1360s 1370s
| Centuries: |
13th century - 14th century - 15th century
|1340 by topic|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
|Gregorian calendar|| 1340 |
|Ab urbe condita||2093|
|Armenian calendar|| 789 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-504 – -503|
|Coptic calendar||1056 – 1057|
|Ethiopian calendar||1332 – 1333|
|Hebrew calendar||5100 – 5101|
|- Vikram Samvat||1395 – 1396|
|- Shaka Samvat||1262 – 1263|
|- Kali Yuga||4441 – 4442|
|Iranian calendar||718 – 719|
|Islamic calendar||740 – 741|
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2000|
|Thai solar calendar||1883|
Europe has about 74 million inhabitants.
- January 26 - King Edward III of England is declared King of France
- June 24 - The Battle of Sluys is fought between the naval fleets of the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of France. The former was under the command of Edward III of England and the later under those of admiral Hue Quiéret and treasurer Nicholas Béhuchet assisted by Genoese mercenary galleys serving under Egidio Bocanegra. The battle ends with the almost complete destruction of the French. Both their commanders were among the casualties. However the mercenaries manage to escape.
- A son of deceased King Christopher II of Denmark is elected to the throne following eight years of Interregnum. He will reign as Valdemar IV of Denmark.
- June 24 - John of Gaunt (died 1399)
- November 30 - John, son of John II of France (died 1416)
- Philip van Artevelde, Flemish patriot (died 1382)
- Enguerrand VII de Coucy (died 1397)
- Feofan Grek, Russian painter (died 1410)
- Geert Groote, Dutch founder of the Brethren of the Common Life (died 1384)
- Narayana Pandit, mathematician (died 1400)
- San Rocco di Venezia, patron saint of pestilence (died 1378)
- March 31 - Ivan I of Russia
- December 4 - Henry Burghersh, English bishop and chancellor (born 1292)
- William Melton, English archbishop
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1340. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1340 at Familypedia
44 people were born in 1340
9 children were born to the 9 women born in 1340
24 people died in 1340
917 people lived in 1340
Events of the year 1340 at FamilypediaEdit
20 people were married in 1340.
There were 0 military battles in 1340.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.