1253 1254 1255 - 1256 - 1257 1258 1259
1220s 1230s 1240s - 1250s - 1260s 1270s 1280s
12th century - 13th century - 14th century
|1256 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
|Art and literature|
|1256 in poetry|
|Gregorian calendar||1256 |
|Ab urbe condita||2009|
|Armenian calendar||705 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-588 – -587|
|Coptic calendar||972 – 973|
|Ethiopian calendar||1248 – 1249|
|Hebrew calendar||5016 – 5017|
|- Vikram Samvat||1311 – 1312|
|- Shaka Samvat||1178 – 1179|
|- Kali Yuga||4357 – 4358|
|Iranian calendar||634 – 635|
|Islamic calendar||653 – 654|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 1916|
|Thai solar calendar||1799|
- May 4 - Pope Alexander IV issues a papal bull Licet ecclesiae catholicae constituting the Augustinian monastic order at Lecceto Monastery.
- The city of Lviv, in present-day Ukraine, is founded by Danylo King of Rus.
- Theodore II Lascaris, Byzantine Emperor (in exile in the Empire of Nicaea), successfully concludes a military campaign started a year earlier to recover Thrace from the Bulgarians.
Abingdon School is founded. Roger Bacon becomes a Franciscan Friar.
- October - Mongol commander Baiju (operating under Hulagu Khan's command) leads his forces in a victory over Kay Ka'us II of the Sultanate of Rüm, thereby capturing Anatolia.
- December 15 - Hulagu Khan captures and destroys the Hashshashin stronghold at Alamut in present-day Iran.
- Hulagu Khan establishes the Ilkhanate dynasty of Persia, which will become one of four main divisions of the Mongol Empire.
- The Japanese Kenchō era ends, and the Kōgen era begins.
- January 6 - Gertrude the Great, German mystic
- Robert, French founder of the House of Bourbon (died 1317)
- January 28 - William II, King of Germany
- June 13 – Tankei, Japanese sculptor (born 1173)
- September 1 - Kujo Yoritsune, Japanese shogun (born 1218)
- October 14 - Kujo Yoritsugu, Japanese shogun (born 1239)
- William of Kilkenny, Lord Chancellor of England
- Johannes de Sacrobosco, English scholar
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1256. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1256 at Familypedia
16 people were born in 1256
9 children were born to the 5 women born in 1256
20 people died in 1256
1022 people lived in 1256
Events of the year 1256 at Familypedia
7 people were married in 1256.
|Ferdinand de Ponthieu (1239-1260)||Laure de Montfort (c1227-1270)|
|Heinrich VI. von Luxemburg (1240-1288)||Beatrice d'Avesnes (c1242-1321)|
|Isabella von Luxemburg (1247-1298)||Gui de Dampierre (1225-1305)|
|Guillaume II de Chauvigny (1224-1271)||Agathe de Lusignan (c1223-1269) + Agnès de Vierzon|
|Gui de Dampierre (1225-1305)||Mahaut de Béthune (c1220-1264)+Isabella von Luxemburg (1247-1298)|
|Laure de Montfort (c1227-1270)||Ferdinand de Ponthieu (1239-1260) + Henri VI de Grandpré (1240-1287)|
|Mahaut de Poissy (c1240-c1287)||Pierre de Maizelan|
There were 0 military battles in 1256.