|Centuries:||11th century - 12th century - 13th century|
|Decades:|| 1150s 1160s 1170s - 1180s - 1190s 1200s 1210s
|Years:||1177 1178 1179 - 1180 - 1181 1182 1183|
|1180 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
|Art and literature|
|1180 in poetry|
|Gregorian calendar|| 1180 |
|Ab urbe condita||1933|
|Armenian calendar|| 629 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-664 – -663|
|Coptic calendar||896 – 897|
|Ethiopian calendar||1172 – 1173|
|Hebrew calendar||4940 – 4941|
|- Vikram Samvat||1235 – 1236|
|- Shaka Samvat||1102 – 1103|
|- Kali Yuga||4281 – 4282|
|Iranian calendar||558 – 559|
|Islamic calendar||575 – 576|
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 1840|
|Thai solar calendar||1723|
- April 13 — Frederick Barbarossa issues the Gelnhausen Charter.
- November 18 — Philip II becomes King of France.
- During the third year of the Jisho era of Japan, a devastating whirlwind damages Kyoto.
- Emperor Antoku succeeds Emperor Takakura as emperor of Japan.
- Afonso I of Portugal is taken prisoner by Ferdinand II of Leon.
- Artois is annexed by France.
- Prince Mochihito amasses a large army and instigates the Genpei War between Taira and Minamoto clans.
- Frederick Barbarossa removes Henry the Lion from the Duchy of Saxony, and created the Duchies of Westphalia and Styria.
- Alexius II Comnenus becomes Byzantine emperor.
- The Wittelsbach family takes control of Bavaria.
- Kilij Arslan II allies with Saladin after the death of Byzantine emperor Manuel I Comnenus.
- Alexander Neckam becomes a lecturer in Paris, and writes De Natura Rerum, an early mention of chess (approximate date).
- Estimation: Hangzhou, capital of Southern Song China becomes the largest city of the world, taking the lead from Fes in the Almohad Empire.
- Last major volcanic eruption of Sunset Crater, in Arizona.
- August 6 — Emperor Go-Toba of Japan (d. 1239)
- Berenguela of Castile, queen of Alfonso IX of Castile (d. 1246)
- Gilbert de Clare, English soldier (d. 1230)
- King Eric X of Sweden (d. 1216)
- September 18 — King Louis VII of France (b. 1120)
- September 24 — Manuel I Comnenus, Byzantine Emperor (b. 1118)
- October 25 — John of Salisbury, French bishop (b. c. 1120)
- Al-Mustadi, Caliph (b. 1142)
- William de Braose
- Abraham ibn Daud, philosopher (martyred) (b. c. 1120)
- Roman I of Kiev
- Yaroslav II of Kiev
- Prince Mochihito, son of Emperor Go-Shirakawa of Japan
- Minamoto no Yorimasa, Japanese samurai (b. 1106)
- Zhu Shuzhen, Chinese female poet
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1180. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1180 at Familypedia
65 people were born in 1180
48 children were born to the 23 women born in 1180
30 people died in 1180
998 people lived in 1180
Events of the year 1180 at FamilypediaEdit
22 people were married in 1180.
There were 0 military battles in 1180.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.