Events and Trends[edit | edit source]
- Abbot Suger rebuilds the monastery of St Denis outside Paris, seen as the initiation of the Gothic style.
- Gratian's Decretals reinvigorate study of canon law and civil law.
- 1142 — End of the reign of Emperor Sutoku, emperor of Japan
- 1142 — Emperor Konoe ascends to the throne of Japan
- 1143 — Celestine II elected pope
- 1144 — Pope Celestine II is succeeded by Pope Lucius II
- 1146 — Saint Bernard of Clairvaux preaches the Second Crusade at Vezelay, Burgundy
- 1145–1147 — Second Crusade — Crusaders capture Lisbon from Muslims
- 1148 — The Alexiad is written by the Byzantine historian Anna Comnena, daughter of Alexius I.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1140s. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.