Events and Trends[edit | edit source]
- Henry I becomes King of England.
- Henry I proclaims the Charter of Liberties, one of the first examples of a constitution.
- Baldwin I becomes King of Jerusalem.
- The cities of Kalmar, Kungälv, and Varberg, Sweden are chartered.
- In Iceland, Althing decides that the laws should be transferred to a written form
- Approximate date of the invention of checkers.
- Coronation of Coloman of Hungary in the town of Biograd, adding the Croatian duchies of Slavonia and Dalmatia to the crown of Hungary (Personal union with Hungary).
- Crusaders capture Caesarea Maritima.
- Crusaders defeat an Egyptian invasion of the Kingdom of Jerusalem near Ascalon.
- April 27 — Anselm, Archbishop of Canterbury, goes into exile after falling out with Henry I of England
- Amadeus III becomes Count of Savoy
- Bohemund I of Antioch is released from imprisonment among the Turks
- The Scandinavian city of Lund becomes a see within the Roman Catholic Church
- Sigurd Jorsalfare, Øystein Magnusson and Olav Magnusson become joint kings of Norway.
- September 3 — St. Cuthbert reburied in the Durham Cathedral
- The Venice Arsenal, is founded in Venice.
- Alfonso I of Aragon becomes King of Aragon and Navarre.
- Historian Guibert of Nogent becomes abbot of Notre Dame de Nogent.
- Baldwin I of Jerusalem captures Acre.
- Baldwin II, count of Edessa, is taken prisoner by the Seljuk Turks at the Battle of Harran; Tancred becomes regent.
- Kilij Arslan I, Sultan of Rüm, starts a war with the Danishmends.
- The volcano Hekla erupts in Iceland, destroying settlements
- Henry IV, Holy Roman Emperor deposed by his son, Henry V
- Tamna kingdom annexed by Korean Goryeo Dynasty.
- Great Comet of 1106 first sighted.
- September 28 — Henry I of England defeats his older brother Robert Curthose, duke of Normandy, at the Battle of Tinchebrai, and imprisons him in Devizes castle; Edgar Atheling and William Clito are also taken prisoner.
- Balaguer, Spain, is captured from the Moors by the count of Urgell.
- Boleslaus III of Poland begins a war against his brother Zbigniew for control of Poland.
- The great Buddhist centre of learning at Nalanda is destroyed by invaders.
- May — Battle of Ucles
- Consecration of Chichester cathedral.
- Saint Magnus becomes the first earl of Orkney.
- In Pistoia, Italy, Cathedral of San Zeno burned to the ground.
- Alexius I Comnenus and Bohemund I of Antioch negotiate the Treaty of Devol.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1100s. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.