|Area||8.95 sq mi (23 km²)|
|- land||8.95 sq mi (23 km²)|
|- water||0.00 sq mi (0 km²)|
|Density||594.7 / sq mi (230 / km²)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Hampshire, Illinois|
Hampshire is located at .
According to the 2010 census, the village has a total area of 8.95 square miles (23.2 km2), all land.
As of the 2010 census, there were 5,563 people and 2,031 housing units in Hampshire, a population spike of 123% from the 2000 census.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,490 people, 1,015 households, and 792 families residing in the village. There were 1,051 housing units at an average density of 215.5 per square mile (83.2/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 98.21% White, 0.10% African American, 0.38% Native American, 0.14% Asian, and 0.62% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.41% of the population.
There were 1,015 households out of which 42.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.6% were married couples living together, 7.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.9% were non-families. 17.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.86 and the average family size was 3.28.
In the village the population was spread out with 29.7% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 32.1% from 25 to 44, 20.2% from 45 to 64, and 11.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 92.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.8 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $58,519, and the median income for a family was $65,069. Males had a median income of $42,217 versus $29,934 for females. The per capita income for the village was $22,143. About 2.3% of families and 2.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.5% of those under age 18 and 9.2% of those age 65 or over.
Hampshire's mascot is the Whip-Pur. A whip-pur Is a cat like a panther and it got its name from white and purple The Hampshire school system consists of Hampshire High School, Hampshire Middle School, Hampshire Elementary School, and Gary D. Wright Elementary.
Hampshire is home to a small restaurant named Chick n' Dip, which is locally famous for its broasted chicken.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places – Illinois". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/files/2010_place_list_17.txt. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Official Village Website
- Hampshire Area Chamber of Commerce
- Ella Johnson Memorial Public Library District
- Hampshire Elementary School
- Gary D. Wright Elementary School
- Hampshire Middle School
- Hampshire High School
- Kane County Forest Preserve
- Hampshire Little League Baseball and Softball
- Hampshire Park District
- Hampshire Youth Football & Cheerleading Association
- Hampshire Boy Scouts
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Hampshire, Illinois. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|